PDA

View Full Version : siping vs needleing

DoubleD
05-05-2014, 09:24 AM
Has anyone tried needleing the tires instead of siping them? One man operation and looking for way to speed up tire prep time. It looks like you could needle them alot faster too me. Or are guys doing both to their tires? Thx for any input.
'' )

CsR41
05-14-2014, 07:32 AM
I'm going to bump this up because I'm curious.

merc123
05-14-2014, 09:56 AM
http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?202992-tire-needling-vs-siping

KynetixSolutions
05-16-2014, 11:31 AM
At one time I was leading the pack in saying needling will eliminate siping, I was very wrong. At the end of the day needling serves a couple very necessary purposes. The main purpose is to allow the tire to shed itself and maintain its speed. For more help you can call 618-304-2674

Lizardracing
05-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Shed it self? Please elaborate.

powerslide
05-20-2014, 08:26 AM
At one time I was leading the pack in saying needling will eliminate siping, I was very wrong. At the end of the day needling serves a couple very necessary purposes. The main purpose is to allow the tire to shed itself and maintain its speed. For more help you can call 618-304-2674

sounds alot like that venom juice guy from years past. If he didnt have cars for sale in the classifieds i would say it was the same guy.

KynetixSolutions
05-20-2014, 10:08 AM
By the tire sheding itself it maintains its speed. Rather than the tire chunk or seal, it will actually peel and continue to have fresh rubber on the ground. To me that is the most important part of needling a tire.

Lizardracing
05-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Thank for the explanation. Does the number of holes increase the shed rate?

KynetixSolutions
05-20-2014, 06:38 PM
Somewhat, but at a certain point you just start to effect the lactisity of the tire.

Lizardracing
05-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Somewhat, but at a certain point you just start to effect the lactisity of the tire.

lactisity? what does that word mean?

KynetixSolutions
05-20-2014, 10:31 PM
How flexible or how the tire is moving. It will effect forward and side bite.

hpmaster
05-21-2014, 08:05 AM
How flexible or how the tire is moving. It will effect forward and side bite.

I believe hysteresis or modulus of elasticity is what you may be talking about. As for ,lactisity<sp>?, I never heard of such a term regarding rubber or tires. I would like to see a link showing it used in a techincal piece regarding tires.

KynetixSolutions
05-21-2014, 09:25 AM
Elasticity is what I meant, stupid auto correct

SuperEight
07-23-2014, 05:13 PM
I believe hysteresis or modulus of elasticity is what you may be talking about. As for ,lactisity?, I never heard of such a term regarding rubber or tires. I would like to see a link showing it used in a techincal piece regarding tires.Hysteresis is something that occurs in a shock as well, involving the momentum of the fluid when the shaft/piston changes direction. Elasticity is the "stretchiness" of the rubber on a tire.

zeroracing
07-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Hysteresis is something that occurs in a shock, involving the momentum of the fluid when the shaft/piston changes direction. Elasticity is the "stretchiness" of the rubber on a tire.

Hysteresis is a tire term as well, used in most engineering literature about tire and tire performance. Basically the more hystersis a tire has the better it will perform.

Also the fluid is not the only item that causes hystersis in a shock, many factors can add small amounts of it that can combine. Weight of internal components, finish...

So hystersis good for tire bad for shock.

SuperEight
07-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Hysteresis is a tire term as well, used in most engineering literature about tire and tire performance. Basically the more hystersis a tire has the better it will perform.Also the fluid is not the only item that causes hystersis in a shock, many factors can add small amounts of it that can combine. Weight of internal components, finish... So hystersis good for tire bad for shock.Ah, learned something new. Cool.