PDA

View Full Version : 05 grt braking corner entry

hobbyracerbn2
05-08-2014, 06:53 PM
Im needing some advice on braking into the corner.I dobt think im doin something right and been reading and pulling up different threads on brakin a car.anyways while im bout to go ib the corner i ease up throttle some and apply my brakes but i have mostly my brake pressure to the rear and my right front shut off..seems to me the car us really lose and really swing the rear out and it just doest feel confortable and cant seem to be smooth with it..u think i need to turn back on rf and try running more to the front?? I just dont want to overly tighten it to mucg..i just have people to tell me to run nore rear and leave rf cut off..just tryin to figure out how to keep monentum up and keeping car under me and under control...any advice would help than alot

RACR_73s
05-08-2014, 08:16 PM
Turn the RF back on and take some rear brake out of it/put in more front brake. I don't ever turn my RF brake off.

hobbyracerbn2
05-08-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanx alot! I have never ran a 4 wheel brake before on a racecar..what would i expect more knowin it will probably make car tighter but just wonderin how muchit will make difference insteering..about how much do i need to start with on the bias to front?? I realky appreaciate the advice

7uptruckracer
05-09-2014, 08:00 AM
When I run my RF shut off I run more front bias. When it slicks off I'll cut the RF back on and adjust accordingly

FlatTire
05-09-2014, 08:45 AM
About the only time I'll shut the RF off is early in the night when there track is tacky and the car wants to push/get tight on entry under braking. For years I never ran a RF shut off valve, but its a good "cure" for when there is moisture in the track and your car won't turn on entry.

Every once and a while I'll use it on the slick, but not often...just depends on how the car acts.

At the beginning of every night, I set my brake bias at 50/50 and adjust slightly as needed. I do this because it provides more balanced braking and more total braking force. I find that when my set up is on, my brake bias is usually close to 50/50.

So to answer your question, if the car feels loose on entry then turn the RF on so you Rf has braking power. If you still feel loose, then start cranking more front brake into it.

Also, don't try to turn the switch on/off with your foot on the pedal when you are on the track. There's a good chance you will cause the pads to drag, overheat the rotor, and maybe even melt the grease out of the bearings. I've seen this happen before.

Matt49
05-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Not saying it's right but this is what I do. Our car is setup in hot laps the way we expect it to be for the heat race. So we expect to be tight. We compensate with some simple adjustments that we can quickly change back since there isn't much time between hot laps and the heat races. Usually just some extra air the RR, stiffen RR shock compression, and soften RR shock rebound.
You should have about 18 turns from one side to the other on your brake adjustment. What I do for hot laps is go full to the rear and then come back 6 turns toward the middle. Usually it's right on.
When the track is really wet, your RF is going to lock up on you when braking and create a push. Use the RF shutoff then. Also, if a track has a heavy cushion later in the night, the RF brake shut off can help you keep from jumping the RF over it.
It's all about traction circles. Do your homework :-)

hobbyracerbn2
05-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Hey guys appreaciate all the help! I wished i really had the money just to attend a driving school to help me get a base idea to get me in the ball park.i have a few people here give me rough ideas on setups and such but as for the driving just been a big learning curve for last few years espeacially not havin a updated car.last few years been running a 97 grt with crate 604 and nowa better car 2005 updated in front this past winter..car was a huge difference than i had been running

let-r-eat
05-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Get Donnie Moran's driving article and read it closely. He knows how it's done.

TeamGRT07
05-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Where do u get the article??i tried lookin it up and cant find it

hobbyracerbn2
05-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Where do u get the article of donnie moran?????