PDA

View Full Version : tranny question

roundboy
05-10-2014, 07:13 PM
I have a guss tranny, internal clutch setup that uses a slave cylinder bolted to the tranny mount bolt holes.. my question is, im running a mitchel machine bullet tranny with a ram triple disk right now, is it worth changing to the guss tranny to cut down on the rotating weight or stay with the clutch and bullet tranny? The guss tranny has 2 nights on a rebuild and the guy it came from said it worked like a champ for him.. also, im guessing i need a 4-speed shifter setup for the guss tranny?? Any help or ideas are much appriciated..

roundboy
05-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Anybody?? Good, bad, waste of time, any info at all??

Lizardracing
05-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I would probably make the switch but don't expect any major advantage. There is some small performance there though. The advantage is a loosening affect with more engine braking while decelerating and coming up to RPM quicker on exits or restarts. A reverse mount bell and revised starter location helps move the weight closer to the middle as well. Reliability is a concern as I have no experience with that transmission but I have run a triple disk for many years and mine was pretty much trouble free. I never even changed the disks in the triple disk clutch in ten years,

LM14
05-12-2014, 11:22 PM
The Guss is VERY old technology. Not nearly as tough as a Brinn. There were a couple different designs so hard telling what you have internally. Call Larry Eckrich @ Precision Performance in Cosgrove, IA, he still repaired/rebuilt them last I knew.

SPark

roundboy
05-13-2014, 11:32 AM
Thank you both for your input.. the triple disk and bullet tranny in the car now work great so im thinking i probably should leave whats in there alone and send the guss tranny down the road... thanks again..

racin6mod
05-18-2014, 06:11 PM
I repair and have built a few guss type trany's here at my shop. the thing about them is they use a muncie trany as a base and they are getting harder to find with out broken mounts or a broken tail shaft housing. if built correct the only real weak link is the input shaft (they can twist in half) I would not use one in a car with 12'' or wider tires.on the in side they are copied of the bert the main differance is the slave cylinder set up.

the ones I built have the slave cylinder built in to the tail housing.

www.schoonoverengineering.com

roundboy
05-24-2014, 09:29 AM
Sold the guss tranny, going to stay with what i know works, but thanks for everyones input...