PDA

View Full Version : sportmod popping in corner

nthdrt
05-15-2014, 11:12 AM
Hi drivers , i need some help. Have a harris sportmod,355, auto,600 gear. Car will run great down the straights but when you get into corners it sounds like your on the rev limiter but we dont have one. Come off the corner and it runs fine. We can run it in the garage and if you slowly increase the throttle you can hear the right bank miss a little and see the flame come out of the header when it does. Dont know if this is normal or not or if this is the reason it is doing it in the corner.If you hit the throttle hard ,no prolbems. Things we have changed so far are ,dist,coil,module,pickup coil,wires,rotor,plugs,fuel line (found a week spot in line) reset valves,checked timming. The only thing we did to the 500 holley was set the float a little lower thinking it might be flooding in the corners.Im lost of where to go now,has anyone had any troubles like this? Ive heard these holleys have a mind of their own,but i dont know if the carb would act this way. If anyone has any ideas i can use all the help i can get.Im thinking gremlins is in this car. Thanks

72Dubya
05-15-2014, 11:46 AM
If it misses in the corner, that would mean the float level is low and you are running out of fuel, not high. Also, the fuel may be sloshing away from the passenger side jet (it may be the drivers side, I am struggling with my physics at the moment haha) when you set the car in the corner. Sometimes running that jet one or two sizes higher can help a little, but never go more than five sizes difference between the sides.

Duckhnter83
05-15-2014, 12:19 PM
Also check your headers I had a bad popping last year when I would let out in the corners it was leaking around header flange.

bmodracer
05-16-2014, 07:22 AM
I've ran a 500 for over 10 years. Mid corner, when you are pulling a few "G's" and have a flutter, 9 out of 10 times it was that the float level was too high. I have to shake my car fairly hard to get fuel to come out of the site plug. How is your fuel pressure when this is happening? I've also had bad fuel pumps that lost pressure at the end of the straights.

nthdrt
05-16-2014, 10:24 AM
Hi drivers , i need some help. Have a harris sportmod,355, auto,600 gear. Car will run great down the straights but when you get into corners it sounds like your on the rev limiter but we dont have one. Come off the corner and it runs fine. We can run it in the garage and if you slowly increase the throttle you can hear the right bank miss a little and see the flame come out of the header when it does. Dont know if this is normal or not or if this is the reason it is doing it in the corner.If you hit the throttle hard ,no prolbems. Things we have changed so far are ,dist,coil,module,pickup coil,wires,rotor,plugs,fuel line (found a week spot in line) reset valves,checked timming. The only thing we did to the 500 holley was set the float a little lower thinking it might be flooding in the corners.Im lost of where to go now,has anyone had any troubles like this? Ive heard these holleys have a mind of their own,but i dont know if the carb would act this way. If anyone has any ideas i can use all the help i can get.Im thinking gremlins is in this car. Thanks

Thanks everyone with the help. We dont run a fuel pressure gauge in the car so i cant tell what the fuel pmp is doing.Someone said you have to run a fuel regulator and a return fuel hose on the car, is this right? Anyways it sounds like it might be in the carb so were going to put a hobbystock carb on it for this weekend and see if we have the same prolbems. I know its not legal but were not setting the world on fire now. Will let you know the results

nthdrt
05-18-2014, 01:03 PM
Thanks everyone with the help. We dont run a fuel pressure gauge in the car so i cant tell what the fuel pmp is doing.Someone said you have to run a fuel regulator and a return fuel hose on the car, is this right? Anyways it sounds like it might be in the carb so were going to put a hobbystock carb on it for this weekend and see if we have the same prolbems. I know its not legal but were not setting the world on fire now. Will let you know the results

update: we ran the roch 2bbl last night and had no prolbems. Not as fast as with the holley but no prolbems in the corners. Looks like carb was the prolbem, thanks for all the help everyone.