PDA

View Full Version : steering trouble on rocket

monster777
05-23-2014, 07:20 AM
When coming off the corner and turning slightly to the right to drift up the track the car will dart hard right erraticly .not all the time and sometimes worse than others . I've checked everything I can think of for binding and measurements seem to be correct.any ideas ????

hucktyson
05-23-2014, 07:43 AM
It probably has a sweet rack and servo in it. Call Tony Woodward and the problem will go away unless you have bent spindles or something

FlatTire
05-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Likely a rack issue. Make sure your caster is correct.

monster777
05-23-2014, 08:09 AM
Caster is correct. Rack seems to work fine otherwise. Any way to check it to be sure ?

EAMShater
05-23-2014, 09:44 AM
Have you checked the bump steer?

monster777
05-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Yuup. Everything is to specs . The servo sounds logical. I had one go bad before but once it turned all the way right it stayed there.my problem is only for a second or two.

Matt49
05-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Any chance your 5th coil spring is binding? Either the spring coming off the bottom cup or catching on the top cup unevenly and suddenly snapping back into place? I've had this happen (snapped the clip on the bottom cup) and had a similar symptom as the 5th coil was behaving strange and causing unpredictable traction.

I'd definitely check your bump steer also.

If you do have a Sweet rack, the solution is not to trash it and buy something new. Sweet racks are fine and if you send it to them they can have it back to you in two days if you think it needs to be checked. Just give them a call. I'm sure Woodward is fine also but Sweet racks are not junk by any means.

monster777
05-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks ! I'll double check the 5th coil.i looked at it last night everything looked fine. I have a spare rack and servo . I'll switch it out and see if that helps

hucktyson
05-24-2014, 10:21 AM
Matt , bumping wheels results in sweet servos needing rebuilt. You can knock down the wall with a woodward and it's fine. Not to mention the ability to adjust left right bias and servo feel with a 5 minute 20 dollar torsion bar change. The Woodward stuff is smooth and bullet proof the sweet stuff is cheap and fragile. I would rather not have to worry about sending a servo for a rebuild everytime I bump wheels. Maybe junk was the wrong word but it's a citizen watch compared to a Rolex

hpmaster
05-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Matt , bumping wheels results in sweet servos needing rebuilt. You can knock down the wall with a woodward and it's fine. Not to mention the ability to adjust left right bias and servo feel with a 5 minute 20 dollar torsion bar change. The Woodward stuff is smooth and bullet proof the sweet stuff is cheap and fragile. I would rather not have to worry about sending a servo for a rebuild everytime I bump wheels. Maybe junk was the wrong word but it's a citizen watch compared to a Rolex

Ditto on the Woodward being bulletproof. But remember there are folks that can break an iron ball.

John H
05-24-2014, 03:18 PM
It's possible that it's not even a steering issue at all! It might be a left rear issue.

Brian Gray
05-24-2014, 04:44 PM

100% agreed been on Tony's stuff for years never had an issue. Unmatched service as well.

grt74
05-26-2014, 02:07 PM
is the rf spring coil binding???

monster777
05-27-2014, 05:22 AM
I changed the servo and it seemed to cure the problem. Thanks guys.

hucktyson
05-27-2014, 05:55 AM
If you replaced it with another sweet you better send the old one in for repairs because the next minor contact will have you back to square one. On a sweet servo there's a small bearing on 1 end and the valving holds the other end , hence any contact is absorbed by the valving , on a Woodward there's a giant bearing on both ends so contact has no effect on the valving.

monster777
05-27-2014, 09:19 AM
Hmmm interesting. Always heard woodward was better . didn't know why. How does the appleton stack up ? I have one of those for a spare also.

hpmaster
05-28-2014, 08:54 AM
Hmmm interesting. Always heard woodward was better . didn't know why. How does the appleton stack up ? I have one of those for a spare also.
I have had great performance and service from Appleton. Seen some that are old enough to vote still running every weekend.