PDA

View Full Version : 4bar vs swing arm

pfd60
05-24-2014, 07:45 AM
I am new to late models. I Have been running an old grt. Going to upgrade to a newer chassis. What do you guys think is better for a driver that likes to keep the car straight as possible. I am trying to decide which type of car to get. Thanks for the input.

stevo
05-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Swing arm is used for no sidebite condiation ,swing arm swing arm .But when it slicks and you need sidebite you can take rr off arm and pur on birdcage you still will be better in slick by putting lr behind off arm.

hpmaster
05-24-2014, 08:16 AM
First as a new driver I would get a chassis that more people in your area are good with and own. Then make sure you develop good relationships with them so you can get fast on/at the track help. Now 4 bar vs swing arm the current blah blah blah is 4 bar is better. Now if you are at a track where the most helpful fast guys run swing arm I would go swing arm but if they all run GRT 4 bars that is what I would look at. These web guys are good and bad but I can't see how the car is running like I can when watching your heat or I am 40 feet behind you. Now if I am passing you ask me for help but if you are passing me maybe I need to talk to you. Straight and tail out really doesn't apply like it did a few years ago, use a stop watch. JMHO

keeks
05-24-2014, 08:17 AM
You will definitely like the swingarm on real rough tracks, or if you are still learning throttle control with the right foot.

hpmaster
05-24-2014, 08:30 AM
You will definitely like the swingarm on real rough tracks, or if you are still learning throttle control with the right foot.

Spoken like a winning swing arm guy! good points

pfd60
05-24-2014, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the input. It seems a lot of guys are in pierce cars now that are running up front. I think that would be my best bet. I do like the benefits of swing arm on rough tracks. My local track tends to be terrible rough until features when the holes are smoothed over.

grt74
05-26-2014, 01:57 PM
both cars can win,i really think swing arm can still get it done,with all of the new setups there not letting the cars get up so high on the lr,in my opinion a swing arm can get it done still but no one is working with them from a shock stand point and also most people dont understand that you have to take a big swing as far as your spring changes,the tightest car we ever ran was a swing arm car,if people say they cant get side bite its just because they dont know what to do to it,both cars can win

pfd60
05-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks I appreciate the input.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-27-2014, 12:22 PM
both cars can win,i really think swing arm can still get it done,with all of the new setups there not letting the cars get up so high on the lr,in my opinion a swing arm can get it done still but no one is working with them from a shock stand point and also most people dont understand that you have to take a big swing as far as your spring changes,the tightest car we ever ran was a swing arm car,if people say they cant get side bite its just because they dont know what to do to it,both cars can win

I know first hand they can still be quite competitive on the slickest of tracks.

stevo
05-27-2014, 12:35 PM
are pierce cars swing arm?

pfd60
05-27-2014, 10:46 PM
I believe they are or can be combo cars.

7uptruckracer
05-28-2014, 09:56 AM
Pierce are Z link or 4 Link thats the combo part. You have Clamped and LR behind. IMO Pierce is somewhat behind what some of the others like Shaw are doing maybe for IMCA they are fine but UMP they are behind especially with UMP motors in them but thats my opinion

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Pierce are Z link or 4 Link thats the combo part. You have Clamped and LR behind. IMO Pierce is somewhat behind what some of the others like Share are doing maybe for IMCA they are fine but UMP they are behind especially with UMP motors in them but thats my opinion

I think everyone else is talking late models.

7uptruckracer
05-29-2014, 07:22 AM
True I forgot the forum I was in haha It was my Monday!

racin6mod
06-01-2014, 01:26 PM
I think 7up is rite they are behind in both classes his son is doing great but if your thinking swingarm rayburn is the best hands down. when we raced lm's he was always helpful and his info was spot on once I set the car up 100 percent to what he told me we won and won often if the track didn't stop running lm's we would still be racing rayburn cars. also we had a ton of side bite and won most of our races on super dry tracks we had to loosen it up with a rr spacer for wet.