PDA

View Full Version : Crates in open competition

Dbradshaw41
05-27-2014, 02:05 PM
Can the 525 crate motor compete n open motor competition. Or for that matter can the 604 motor. I'm wanting to get into late models but don't wanna spend a ton until I learn but would still like to be competitive. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Matt49
05-27-2014, 02:50 PM
604s can be competitive against opens in the right track conditions. 604s are competitive in our area against opens and have won a handful of features over the past few years.
But if you run bigger tracks or tracks that stay fast all night, you better have plenty of tear-offs on.
525s obviously can be even more competitive but most tracks' rules don't allow the coil packs.
But for the money it takes to get a 525 going you could have a 600+HP open motor built. I think this is the main reason the 525 isn't taking off. It just isn't as cost effective as it sounds at first.

Dbradshaw41
05-27-2014, 04:25 PM
I've seen some reasonably priced steel block aluminum head motors for around same price that the 525 would cost. I think that the biggest thing is seat time to gain experience. But I wonder if the aluminum motors are just to expensive to start out during the learning curve. Or is the 525 motor the way to go to get that experience?

westlingracing
06-13-2014, 12:04 AM
I bought 2 525's this year. For cost and weight benefits. Being all aluminum the weight ratio is excellent. They are a good 100lb lighter than my regular all alum open motors I had ran. Unfortunately when I bought them I thought running in UMP I would be getting a weight break. Sadly they no longer give a break. But both cars have been very competitive at most races. Heats or qualifying is tough because they are down on power but on the slick they are excellent! They dyno after headers and a good carb at around 540-560hp. The other benefit is life expectancy is very long compared to an open motor. I expect to get anywhere between 150 to 200 nights out of mine if they are close to how the life of a 604 crate I had in a limited latemodel I had. Secret to keep them living is to not tweak the timing too much and don't lean them out. I did a lot of research before I jumped into these but beginning to see they are a good option in the Super Latemodel division.

PushinTheLimit
06-13-2014, 01:23 PM
If I ever get good enough to race in the super late model division, a 525 is probably the only way I could afford to do it. On a limited budget and few sponsors, it seems like a good way to get started in super's.

lovinlatemodels
06-13-2014, 07:10 PM
If your getting 540 to 560 HP out of a 525 I think at the cost you could do more with a solid 355 bottom end and a good set of Heads. I think the Heads Cam and Carb is where all your money is going to be at. We were getting 570 out of our 355 with cast iron heads on alky.

bowtech
06-19-2014, 10:04 PM
I'm certainly not trying to talk u out of racing but if your just getting started no engine u buy is gonna make u competitive in super latemodel there's a ton more to being fast than hp things that are learned in a lower class where u can get up to speed quicker learn faster and frankly have more fun than going out and trying to run in open comp good luck no matter where u go