PDA

View Full Version : CT 525 vs. SUPR motor

lledford
05-29-2014, 07:35 PM
I know the issue of running the CT 525 with the open/super late models has been discussed quite a bit but how would a CT 525 complete with SUPR motors on a 1/2 to 1/4 mile track? I believe the SUPR rules allow for a CT 525 option but I would like to know if anyone knows how they would stand up to the SUPR motors and whether they would competitive with that group?

perfconn
05-29-2014, 07:40 PM
The CT525 is supposed to be 525hp and the SUPR Spec is an easy 600hp some brag about 640hp so you decide.

MasterSbilt_Racer
05-29-2014, 08:00 PM
If the 525 gets the same spoiler as the SUPR motor, the 525 will be a no brained for any small or slick track.

FlatTire
05-30-2014, 08:55 AM
One of the tracks(slick 3/8) I go to allows open motors, spec motors, and 525's. The spec motors are the only ones allowed the big spoiler and thats what I run. All 3 types have won races and its pretty equal.

I wouldn't run a 525 if I was racing a big momentum 3/8 or a 1/2mile all the time but I have seen a 525 with a small spoiler run 2nd to an open motor and outrun a field of open motors and spec motors at Devils Bowl when it was hooked up and hammer down. But his set up was one the money! I have no clue how "stock" his 525 was.

So to answer your question, yes a 525 would be competitive with a spec motor at the tracks SUPR goes to. The 525's can weigh 2150 and the spec motors 2200 this year. The reliability of the 525 sounds great, but they are over priced for what you get(powdered rods, hypereutectics pistons, nodular crank). You can spend a little bit more and have a very solid spec motor with better parts and more power. I'd rather spend my money with a guy that has built race engines all his life than give it to a corporation that needed a bailout a few years ago.

William Thomas has won some open late model races down south running a 525. Ronnie Johnson goes pretty good with one as well.

http://www.4m.net/archive/index.php/t-306322.html

stevo
05-30-2014, 11:29 AM
The 525 is when its like the Corvette that I drive,but you can take injectors off and put ported intake on and Holly and get like 650 easy.My car gets 25 mph and it drops to 4 cyl after about 55mph. This would be the way to go cost about $1250. ready to race and with the low compression will last long time for weekly racer.

westlingracing
06-13-2014, 12:28 AM
One of the tracks(slick 3/8) I go to allows open motors, spec motors, and 525's. The spec motors are the only ones allowed the big spoiler and thats what I run. All 3 types have won races and its pretty equal.

I wouldn't run a 525 if I was racing a big momentum 3/8 or a 1/2mile all the time but I have seen a 525 with a small spoiler run 2nd to an open motor and outrun a field of open motors and spec motors at Devils Bowl when it was hooked up and hammer down. But his set up was one the money! I have no clue how "stock" his 525 was.

So to answer your question, yes a 525 would be competitive with a spec motor at the tracks SUPR goes to. The 525's can weigh 2150 and the spec motors 2200 this year. The reliability of the 525 sounds great, but they are over priced for what you get(powdered rods, hypereutectics pistons, nodular crank). You can spend a little bit more and have a very solid spec motor with better parts and more power. I'd rather spend my money with a guy that has built race engines all his life than give it to a corporation that needed a bailout a few years ago.

William Thomas has won some open late model races down south running a 525. Ronnie Johnson goes pretty good with one as well.

http://www.4m.net/archive/index.php/t-306322.html

I know the guy that ran at Devils Bowl and the motor is modified and makes over 600. The other thing is Tires were not the average tires.
I also run 525's in my 2 cars and they are sealed and I think they would be right there with the spec motor. A 525 is a 15deg head low compression all aluminum engine that will last up to 200 nights if maintained properly. I also run 93 octane pump gas in my 525 that costs less than $4 a gallon. For me its pure economics, I can run with opens for open $$$ with lots less expenses, I can put those $$$ towards the fuel for the hauler now. Only downfall with running against opens is loss of power for timing or heats, But on a slick track I really feel its an advantage to be running them. We have around 24 main events between 2 cars on them and are very happy with them.