PDA

View Full Version : LM 20 Tire Question

91mod
06-02-2014, 02:56 PM
I'm doing tires for a team right now and I'm having issues with getting tires to stay at the same size. I tried blowing up tires to 30 psi, set them out in the sun all day, then put them at the correct pressure and marked down what they were, then set them to 4 psi for storage. I came back the next day and set a tire back at the right pressure, and it had already shrank 1/4". Driver is pretty dead set on having certain stagger sizes, so what can I do to keep tires from varying as much? I've been told this is a problem with these tires, but what tricks can I use to keep them from changing so much??? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

hucktyson
06-02-2014, 03:15 PM
Why are you lowering them to 4 psi for storage ?

Matt49
06-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm also not sure I understand the 4 pound thing...
Once you get some air in a tire, don't measure it right away. It takes a little bit for the rubber to stretch.

Also need to tell your driver that 1/4 inch difference in stagger isn't going to be the difference in winning a race.

91mod
06-02-2014, 09:59 PM
I was told there are some big named teams leaving them at 4 during the week and to see if it would work, so far I'm not impressed. So I would leave the LR at 6 for a few hours before measuring it you're saying? I have a hard time keeping the pressure the same too.. Yeah a lot of times if he wants 5" of stagger I'm sure it's not dead on, but I try to get it as close as I can.

hucktyson
06-03-2014, 04:58 AM
If I told you that lannigan " cranks his taffy " using joe Gibbs shock
Oil instead of the traditional KY liquid would you try that too ? Just wondering ... Because I have heard both lannigan and Owens use the Joe Gibbs shock oil when pulling taffy

hucktyson
06-03-2014, 05:02 AM
See im afraid you heard the story wrong the truth is that lannigan and Owens lower the tires in their truck and trailer to 4 psi during the week for some good storage then they re air them. Rumor has it lannigan lowers the air in the tires of his personal vehicle as well every time
He gets out and he's a platinum triple a member and calls them to refill the tires for
Him ... It's all in the name of good storage lol lol lol

powerslide
06-06-2014, 09:36 AM
I was told there are some big named teams leaving them at 4 during the week and to see if it would work, so far I'm not impressed. So I would leave the LR at 6 for a few hours before measuring it you're saying? I have a hard time keeping the pressure the same too.. Yeah a lot of times if he wants 5" of stagger I'm sure it's not dead on, but I try to get it as close as I can.

Try to keep them close to the pressure you are going to race them at, for sure dont let them go flat. When mounting once they pop dont keep airing them up, take the chuck off right away. When it starts to whistle its getting down to about around 10pds. Dont try to stretch them, order the correct chalk mark.

06Tireman
06-06-2014, 12:49 PM
If the driver needs 5" of stagger there are more issues than tires in my eyes.. Let the tires at race pressure.. Once you mount a new tire it does shrink up some after it sits at race pressure.. I am really careful on hotmarks and request the same all the time from Hoosier when we get tires.. Having issues with 1325s wide NRM's being small.. But it works out.. Just pop the tire on bead.. take it to the hotmark.. Let it sit a few minutes.. Let it down to race pressure.. expect it to shrink up maybe 1/8 to 1/4".. That much isn't gonna hurt anything.. My driver runs 3 1/2" in the mud and 3" on slick.. Hes happy if I'm within 1/4" of stagger..and cant tell a difference.. But letting the air out during the week is a waste of time and you may get a tire not to go back to what you had.. Then grow like a somebi*** once it gets heat in it..