PDA

View Full Version : Rear end settings

Race03
06-04-2014, 02:15 PM
I was moving the jbar down on the pinion without resetting the length after a couple of weeks of having a car that is very erratic. Probably moving it about 1 1/2 or a little more to the left. Could someone please explain some of the issues this would create and why it is so important to adjust after moving it. I have an adjustable jbar on order.

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-04-2014, 03:17 PM
I was moving the jbar down on the pinion without resetting the length after a couple of weeks of having a car that is very erratic. Probably moving it about 1 1/2 or a little more to the left. Could someone please explain some of the issues this would create and why it is so important to adjust after moving it. I have an adjustable jbar on order.

You must have been making large adjustments!

You can bind your lift bar. You can misalign your 4 links. This can be as simple as altering the rollsteer or binding them as well. You alter your wheel weights and rates. You can have clearance issues with the tire and frame or suspension components.

Race03
06-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Live and learn. Still new to this stuff. Everything was perfect on the scales. I had the frame at 9 1/2 and the jbar on the pinion right side a little above the drive shaft. (THEN) Get to the track and its dry slick in hot laps. Moved the jbar to the bottom of the pinion about 2 1/4 inches from where it was for heat race without changing the length. I think it was like a 8 1/2 inch split. Now I know better. Little adjustments are better. Going to experiment on scales this week.

TheJet-09
06-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Without knowing what type of frame mount you have, you could always consider lowering/raising the bar the same amount on both ends. That way you would at least minimize (if not remove) any changes left to right. Just make sure you have enough clearance between the rearend yolk and J-bar.

drtrkr244
06-04-2014, 07:15 PM
With your car on scales, move jbar to various positions, then check numbers on scales.

A lot of the time, you wont have to adjust length, if you know what it does to the wheel weights!

Then you can use the movement of the rearend to your advantage.

Matt49
06-05-2014, 02:49 PM
Most people don't move a j-bar 2 1/4 inches in the lifetime of owning a car much less in the same night. That is a HUGE adjustment especially on the pinion side.

drtrkr244
06-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Yes that is a lot!

But, refresh my memory. Isnt that only 2 holes on the older style pinion mounts?