PDA

View Full Version : Heating Problem

greenmod
06-10-2014, 06:03 PM
I'm running a 602 GM crate engine, brand new. New triple pass radiator, stewart water pump, and a 5/8" water restrictor. Have tried all types of restrictors and other radiators with no luck. Any help?

JCSullivan00
06-10-2014, 06:31 PM
GM 4 blade fan? A triple pass and a restrictor seem like way too much restriction to me. Stewart has very detailed cooling instructions on their website.

johnny v
06-10-2014, 06:50 PM
I think stewart says to run NO restriction with their pump...

Krooser
06-11-2014, 02:56 AM
http://stewartcomponents.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

speedbuggy
06-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Definitely no restrictor for a triple pass.

mod71m
06-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Step 1: get rid of the triple pass radiator and put in a single pass. If you can fit a 26" radiator (assuming this is a mod) then Afco has the widest core 26" wide radiator that I've ever found.

Step 2: remove the restrictor completely and bolt your water neck back on.

Step 3: get a 17" 6 blade solid fan (flex-a-lite builds basically all of the 6 blade solid fans so you don't have to worry about consistency of the blade pitch) I have ran this fan on anything from hobby stocks to 650 HP modifed's on gas and it WILL cool.

Step 4: Build a fan shroud. This is not an option, this is a requirement!

Step 5: Make sure your pulleys are in good shape and not worn in the belt grooves and that the belts look good and are tight. You should have 1:1 pulleys on that crate since you won't be turning much RPM.

Step 6: Get a Gates green stripe flex hose with the wire molded in it for the lower hose. This will eliminate the lower hose from ever being sucked shut. Yes the water pump can and will suck it shut if you don't run a wire reinforced hose.

Step 7: Go race and forget about the cooling issues you once had. All it takes now is a good radiator cleaning every 2 to 4 race nights by tapping on the ground and/or soaking in a baby pool. Never use high pressure air or water (car wash is a no no!)