PDA

View Full Version : Panhard bar location ??

nolimits9
06-10-2014, 09:08 PM
I am playing with a older howe xl chassis that runs the long panhard bar behind the the rearend . I was wondering it I built a bracket to run it off the center area making the panhard bar much shorter if that would work something like the short one off the front or what the difference would be ? Thanks for any info ...

RACEMAN
06-10-2014, 10:16 PM
There are probably some articles or info around that you could probably find searching the web but I'll give you my basic impression.

Is this a dirt or pavement car?

If the car rolls over quite a bit (like I've seen some cars do) a short bar will pull the rear end over quite a bit. That may be advantageous on a dirt car but not so much on a pavement car.

If you go to Circle Track magazines website I'm pretty sure you'll find an article or 2 on panhard bar tech.

LM14
06-11-2014, 10:01 AM
A rear mounted panhard bars works the opposite of a front mounted one under braking and acceleration. Where a front mounted bar would be going lower under braking, your rear mounted bar will be rising. I think you will find the longer bar usually works better on the rear so the changes are not so pronounced.

SPark

drtrkr244
06-11-2014, 07:32 PM
That will definitely make for a looser handling car.

However, if it is mounted to the frame on the right side, the handling can be tightened up by increasing the angle(more to the right). As the car rolls over, the rearend will move to the left, ie tightening up the car.

Also, this will increase the drive off .

nolimits9
06-12-2014, 10:21 PM
This is a Howe car we are going to be running on dirt. The bar mounts to the frame on the leftside . We are running a slick (dusty) track semi to slightly banked . Any suggetions on bar lengths for the trailing arms and rear mounted panhard bar and springs ? car is 101 in WB and runs on a 8 in. tires the E mod ump tires and also the American Racers (dot) any help will be great both rear springs are on top of the rearend .