PDA

View Full Version : Who's building the strongest upper control arms?

Krooser
06-17-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm doing some modernizing on the front end of my super stock… uses a 70's Impala stub.

I'd like to run a strong upper arm with screw in ball joint. Shaft type. I see mods with some seemingly larger diameter tubing incorporated in their upper A-arms.

The front end is now set-up for arms with 6 3/4" bolt spacing (Camaro/Impala)… I'll probably change to 6" spacing simply to keep it simple as replacements seem to be easier to find.

One more thing… I'm thinking of using an 8" LF length arm and a 7 3/4" or 7 1/2" RF… sound about right?

72Dubya
06-17-2014, 11:27 PM
UB Machine makes a nice piece. Shaft pre-load is adjustable as well so you can get it to move with very little resistance.

7uptruckracer
06-18-2014, 08:14 AM
I personally had the worst experience with UB Machine. Took me months for a standard slugged 6" on center arm. I cancelled the order and then they still charged me and sent it and it wasn't even machined correctly! I went with Joes

Lizardracing
06-18-2014, 08:48 AM
www.spcalignment.com

Not the lightest, not cheap either. Customer Service and quality is top notch though. I have yet to bend one in the last 7 years of racing that couldn't be used the way it was. I don't even carry spares any more as I feel I don't need one. If these get bent bad enough not to use then the rest of the car must be scrap metal.

72Dubya
06-18-2014, 12:37 PM
I personally had the worst experience with UB Machine. Took me months for a standard slugged 6" on center arm. I cancelled the order and then they still charged me and sent it and it wasn't even machined correctly! I went with Joes

That sounds like you got a really sh*tty deal.. I have never had any experiences like that, purchasing slugged or standard mounts... Maybe they got their crap in order since then because I have never had an issue with them.

SCD, they are stiff out of the box, but I grease them with my own grease, not the stuff that comes in them already, and then back the nut off on both sides about a half a turn to a full turn and they free up a lot with no side to side slop and the shaft spins in your hand.

7uptruckracer
06-18-2014, 12:41 PM
They said their machines were down but when i placed the order they said oh it will be in in a day or two I had to call when it never showed up and then it took months after that and got the run around and when i got it my slugs don't fit the arm and the holes in the slug were not drilled correctly and cut down the side of the slug.

Krooser
06-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions…. I've have Joe's on the streeter in my shop since I bought them at a local race supply house. I've heard UB were good, too and I was leaning that way but the Right Foot option may be my best… They are local (40 miles) but I never think of them when I think of dirt cars… time to take a ride.

SCD… Thanks for the length suggestions….. this is a bare chassis I've had sitting around for a year and it didn't come with any uppers...

Krooser
06-24-2014, 02:12 AM
Thanks for all the input guys…

I found three nice used Right Foot uppers tonite for $10.00 each… right in my budget. They DO have some angle built into the ball joint… 16 degrees on one and a little less (maybe 10 degrees) on the other two. Going to have to see how this affects the install… advice would be greatly appreciated. They came off of a pavement super late.

These have replaceable aluminum slugs.

They are all 10" long… I think I can make 'em work if I mount the inner arm brackets correctly. If not I can machine out the welds on the threaded spuds and cut a bit off to get the right length.

I am impressed at how tough they look… 11GA DOM.

Krooser
06-24-2014, 12:32 PM
I'm not sure if the stock Impala arms have an offset. The early Howe 1st thru 3rd design cars with Chevelle clips used a similar, narrower a-arm with heim's and Ed angled them forward to get the angles right.

I'll do some investigating….

UltimateRaceCars
06-24-2014, 01:47 PM
If you are cutting the upper mounts off and putting new ones on you can make the centered arms work but I would suggest shortening your right arm to 8-9" or your camber gain will be minimal. I use standard Lefthander centered arms on the cars I build.

Krooser
06-24-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks… I agree with the 9" deal… we'll try it.