PDA

View Full Version : lf spring

racing_kid
06-18-2014, 09:19 AM
I put a 9 in shock on my lf to try helping it from carrying off the track. But my spring comes loose about a inch. Should I go back to the 7 in shock or maybe chain it so the spring dont come loose?
Thanks

nathan12
06-18-2014, 09:51 AM
no you dont need to do that. the LF spring comes loose like that on most all cars once the weight has transferred over to the right side of the car. i know a lot of cars in my area have just added two inch extensions to their 7 inch shocks. a lot of chassis builders are starting to add 2 inch extensions built into the frame

dirtplay18
06-19-2014, 11:12 AM
I would never top-out a shock. My shock guy told me its more damaging to it than bottoming out.

drtrkr244
06-19-2014, 06:55 PM
I believe that is an area not many racers think about, but it is very critical on standard sprung cars. It is especially important on cars with stock lowers. The wheel weights change too much when left to "flop around". I used to tack a short piece of 1/4" threaded rod to the bottom end of the coil spring. Then insert that into the hole in the control arm and fairly snug a 1/4" lock nut to it. Between that and my swiveler spring cup, my scale readings stayed more the same.

powerslide
06-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Weld some strap onto the spring bucket to extend the weight jack further down. We used to do that to the LR spring when it was coming unseated and you had to worry about it getting (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)ed sideways on the slider