PDA

View Full Version : RF Camber/Temperature

FlatTire
06-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Anybody recording tire temps on the RF? Does a person want to try for even temps across the tire? What effect does running on the inside of the tire down the straight-a-way have on tire temps? Is this making your temp read higher on the inside and if you were to adjust for that, you would actually be hurting yourself in the corner? Also with these newer front end designs, I'm under the impression that tire temperature/camber concerns have taken a backseat to roll center migration.

I've tried some different tires lately and seen what that did for tire temps. Just curious as to what's ideal for temps across a tire. Feel free to pm me.

Matt49
06-24-2014, 10:35 AM
Just my opinion but I think roll center migration isn't the only think tire temp is taking a backseat to. I think the concept of "camber thrust" is much more on the minds of builders these days.

7uptruckracer
06-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Just my opinion but I think roll center migration isn't the only think tire temp is taking a backseat to. I think the concept of "camber thrust" is much more on the minds of builders these days.

Whats the Camber Thrust Concept

FlatTire
06-24-2014, 01:23 PM
Works just like a road grader right? When you are on the throttle on entry your 4-bar rear suspension is wanting to drive you off the race track. A front tire that is leaned in will rotate in a circle and help counter act the direction the rear tires are trying to drive the car. The blade on a grader is analagous to the 4-bar rear suspension on a late model. So to keep that grader going in the direction you want, you change the camber in the front tires to counter act what the blade is trying to force vehicle to do. This is camber thrust I'm guessing?

I've ridden sport bikes at 100mph thru corners so I'm pretty sure I've felt this camber thrust thing you are talking about. You don't steer a motorcycle, you lean them(change camber) to make them go in the direction you want them to go. There is very minimal steering angle on a bike like you have with a car.

So do we need front late model tires rounded more like motorcycle tires?

Matt49
06-24-2014, 02:34 PM
FlatTire is all over it.
7Up here's a link that will give you some basics. There's tons of engineering-level stuff out on the Internet that you can find with a Google search also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camber_thrust

FlatTire
06-24-2014, 03:42 PM
If you could take a late model wheel/tire and chuck it up in a lathe and cut some camber into it, that would sure be interesting to try out.

el paso mod 19
06-24-2014, 04:11 PM
We use to camber cut our tires when I ran Legend cars back in 1998. Made a big difference.

drtrkr244
06-24-2014, 05:20 PM
That applies to the rear tires as well. Think about the camber you create when you stagger them up.

That's why I am a big proponent of Professor Furneys method for setting stagger. I have seen it work time after time and 4 inches aint it!

LimitedLM06
06-24-2014, 09:55 PM
What is professor Furney's method?

drtrkr244
06-24-2014, 10:27 PM
You have to physically go to the track and measure the turn radius at each end. It only involves three measurements for both sets of turns.Then you compare your track width along with the banking angle to a table he gives you.That will give you the rollout stagger and then you add a % based on track conditions.
I have found it is well worth your time to do this.At first, you will feel kind of stupid out there esp. when racers start asking you what ur doing, but when you start outrunning them you will get the last laugh.

Ralphy
06-25-2014, 05:01 AM
Sure am glad we don't have to compete against some of you guys. There is some really smart guys on this site.Really enjoy learning from you all.

HuckleberryB4
06-25-2014, 07:53 AM
I wonder who really is getting the last laugh here........