PDA

View Full Version : Rear window cut out question

Ralphy
06-26-2014, 08:19 AM
This race was a while ago but I noticed that Bloomquist ran windows with huge openingsin them at Va motor speedway NDRL race and then the next day at Winchester he had themcompletely closed. What do you guys think is the aero advantage is for this change?

Matt49
06-26-2014, 09:00 AM
When the car is in yaw, it lets more air get to the rear deck and hence to the spoiler. Almost all of the big teams are running like this now so it must be fast right? :-)

erm11
06-26-2014, 09:13 AM
Apparently he didn't want to be tight at Winchester.

Ralphy
06-26-2014, 10:23 AM
I understand letting air get through to spoiler but I just wondered about making that change from one track to the other or was there a handling condition the night before that they were trying to correct with aero changes. I probably need to stop trying to make sense of everything! LOL

Matt49
06-26-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm not saying there's nothing to it (because there is) but a lot of guys make obvious changes to their cars to get people thinking about that instead of thinking about their own race car. Bloomquist in particular is notorious for that. If he gets in your head, you've already lost.

hpmaster
06-26-2014, 11:06 AM
This race was a while ago but I noticed that Bloomquist ran windows with huge openingsin them at Va motor speedway NDRL race and then the next day at Winchester he had themcompletely closed. What do you guys think is the aero advantage is for this change?

Might of looked at the sponser on them, maybe the cash advantage was better than the aero advantage LOL.

Ralphy
06-26-2014, 11:14 AM
There was no decals just a filler piece taped in. All blacked out. Maybe he was making room for more sponsors. LOL

MasterSbilt_Racer
06-26-2014, 02:34 PM
I have made the same adjustment to loosen the car at a track that tends to have lots of grip.

Lizardracing
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Ive noticed in the USRA modified sanctioning they are not allowed to cut openings but they are allowed 4 spoiler supports that are almost 2 cubic foot of surface area and everyone is using all they can get. I wonder how much air is getting on the spoiler with those huge supports especially on a modified that's already naturally tight.