PDA

View Full Version : Going topless

el paso mod 19
06-29-2014, 07:28 PM
Trying to get a head start on this. We are going to go topless Labor Day weekend. Never ran this way(not sure I really want to). What changes do you make? Seems to me we will be loosing a lot of down force with the roof off. Also they are running a big 360 non wing show, 50 plus already signed up and they are thinking sprint car count could go to 80. Paying $10,000 to win and $1000 to start, suppose to be highest paying 360 non wing race ever. But any way, they are going to use up the track big time. Track will be SLICK. Give me some ideas as to what to do, please.

Lizardracing
06-29-2014, 07:47 PM
I've races two races topless. It was an option that only half the field participated in. The track was blowing dust both times as it usually was. Dry and sandy. It was weird not having a roof until our feature pulled out to take the green flag and after that I never even noticed. We finished about where we usually did on any other given night as did most everyone else. I wouldn't make any changes. personally but our track was a 1/3 mile flat(9' banking) that aero may not have been much of an influence to start with.

LM14
06-30-2014, 04:14 PM
When we ran topless a couple times it seemed to tighten the car a bit. I think it depends a lot on if you run a spoiler or not.

SPark

el paso mod 19
06-30-2014, 07:11 PM
I guess that without the roof it would redirect air flow. Hadn't thought of that, cause we do run an 8" spoiler. We ran two weeks ago with 27 non wing 360 sprints and the track for our main had a lot of loose stuff when we went out. Was a lot like Florida when the wind blows the sand on the track. Car wanted to four-wheel drift up the track.