PDA

View Full Version : 16 volt battery/solenoid issue.

JCSullivan00
07-06-2014, 09:37 PM
We have always ran a Ford solenoid on our cars, and have never had an issue. We recently switched to a 16v setup, and apparently fried the brand new solenoid. Is there a specific solenoid I should be looking for, or was this a fluke?

Thanks in advance.

save the racers
07-07-2014, 08:10 AM
Why run the solenoid? Old timer wired my last car and threw my solenoid in the trash saying just another part to fail. I'm not electronically inclined and my first car had a solenoid so i thought they had to have them.

jedclampit
07-07-2014, 08:11 AM
We have always ran a Ford solenoid on our cars, and have never had an issue. We recently switched to a 16v setup, and apparently fried the brand new solenoid. Is there a specific solenoid I should be looking for, or was this a fluke?

Thanks in advance.

We have always used a regular old ford solenoid and a 16v battery.
I feel your issue is elsewhere.
The reason for running external solenoid is so you don't have power to starter unless you push the start button, if you have to change the starter in a hurry you don't have a live wire to deal with and possibly short to ground.

Why did you replace the solenoid initially?

Are you using a gear reduction/reverse mount starter or forward mount/production starter?

JustAddDirt
07-07-2014, 08:12 AM
NAPA has a heavy duty, continues duty solenoid that I use. they are brown in color.

zeroracing
07-07-2014, 08:22 AM
I will second "Save the racer" when my starter burnt up recently I went to an old guy that repairs starters. Handed him the starter and his remark was "I see your running a junk ford solenoid" Then explained how the ford solenoid does not allow the starter to disengage instantly and holds it in slightly longer, which causes the majority of the starter failures. He drew me a diagram for me to rewire the car (just bypassed the solenoid, and connected starter button directly to starter). New starter on wired up like he stated and started like a champ with instant disengage when you let of the button.

The guy was very direct that you should not run a ford solenoid with 99% of the starter set ups out there.

keeks
07-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Is a standard starter button made to have that kind of amperage going through it? Or is there a different starter button required?

JCSullivan00
07-07-2014, 10:01 AM
jed,
This is on a new car, so everything is new. We run a traditional forward mount starter.

Mr. Kramer, do you happen to know the part #, or a specific vehicle the solenoid is off of?

jedclampit
07-07-2014, 10:31 AM
jed,
This is on a new car, so everything is new. We run a traditional forward mount starter.

Mr. Kramer, do you happen to know the part #, or a specific vehicle the solenoid is off of?

Never ran anything but a reverse mount this way. I got no experience with your setup.

JustAddDirt
07-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Napa st-85

JustAddDirt
07-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Napa st-85
I think it is a metal housing now.

jedclampit
07-07-2014, 11:53 AM
Is a standard starter button made to have that kind of amperage going through it? Or is there a different starter button required?

If wired correctly, the button only has the power for the control circuit, not the actual starter motor current draw.

Plantintaters
07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
One problem with using an external solenoid is that most people don't consider or fully understand the design of starter they are using.Some small starters used today utilize an internal magnet motor.The reason this is important is because the starter can generate a small amount of electrical current on its own while being spun after the ignition switch has been released.For example, if an external Ford solenoid is used , it is common practice to jumper across from the start terminal to the battery terminal at the starter.Once the starter is engaged into the flywheel and cranks the engine and the button is released the starter can generate enough electricity to feedback across the jumper wire thereby keeping the starter engaged momentarily. In other words the starter momentarily becomes a generator and powers itself just enough to keep the starter drive from disengaging from the flywheel. This is a common problem when production starters off passenger cars are used in race applications.To solve this problem I run two separate wires from the Ford solenoid down to the starter. One from the battery side of the Ford solenoid and one from the ignition switch terminal on the Ford solenoid. By keeping these wires separated, the starter will shut off the very instant that the button is released.Hopefully this isn't too far off subject . I just thought it was relevant to mention it.

JCSullivan00
07-07-2014, 09:38 PM
ST-85 did the trick. Thanks!