PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Caliper Mounting

rangerover
07-08-2014, 10:10 AM
I’m replacing the Ford 9” floater on my Metric Stock Car and ran into a little road block. My current set up has the LH caliper mounted toward the rear of the car while the RH caliper is mounted forward. Somebody went through the trouble of notching and boxing a small section of the frame to allow the right side suspension to compress and clear the caliper from contacting the frame. Looks legit and the car works good, but it puts the brake fluid line on the bottom dangerously close to the lower control arm. It also shows signs of getting hit with debris being at the bottom. I got new weld-on caliper brackets for the new housing and I’m ready to install. So do I mount them exact like the old set up or both towards back of car like I see most cars? Thanks.

26-62 racing
07-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Mount the caliper to the back, get it out of harms way. Always run ours in the back.

72Dubya
07-08-2014, 04:05 PM
People used to run the calipers like that because it supposedly helped on corner entry with braking or something like that. I had a car a few years back that we did a rearend housing swap on, old one had calipers mounted like yours currently are and new one had both at the rear and I didn't really notice a difference at all.

rangerover
07-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Cool. Thanks for the replys. I think I'll go ahead and mount them both towards the rear.

drtrkr244
07-08-2014, 09:31 PM
Its been proven many times, that it doesn't affect chassis loading, no matter which location they are mounted, i.e., put them toward the rear to get them out of the way!