PDA

View Full Version : Help with some info on a sliders in a stock snout tube chassis car.

j_strick22
07-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Recently bought a stock snout tube chassis car. It was originally a 3 bar car, now its been converted to a leaf spring car.(because of rules, no 3 links) I have run sliders on leaf spring cars before but they were welded solid to chassis. This car has the sliders welded to wedge bolts which makes them adjustable. Previous owner had a problem with the roller bearings on the left rear slider kept busting. What is the purpose of the adjustable sliders? Keep them or weld them solid?

thanks for any info

DaveBauerSS6
07-16-2014, 12:47 AM
The wedge bolts on the rear make it easier to adjust corner weights. If they are welded you would have to change lower blocks to change the corner weight. A lot of work at the track. Keep them.

The spring must be side loading the bearing. The bearings are for front to rear movement only, carrying a vertical load. Make sure the slider box is 1/8 wider than the spring bushing. There is a metal spacer bushing that goes thru the center of the spring eye bushing the sets the space between the bearings. The bearings should be about 1/8 clearance to the inside of the slider box. The spring bushing should rub against the inside of the box, carrying the side load. Lightly grease all the contact points.

j_strick22
07-17-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks Dave.... I forgot one thing the sliders will pivot on the wedge bolts. You can move them side to side with your hand. It seems like that is creating a lateral or side force on the bearing and busting it when you go in the corner. It seems like I need to find a way to make the sliders solid to the wedge bolt so that I only get the front to rear movement like they are designed. But still be able to adjust the corner weight. Is there a certain way that needs to be done or are they suppose to be able to pivot side to side.

thanks

DaveBauerSS6
07-18-2014, 10:28 AM
Cant pivot. Lock them and it will run with no trouble.