PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads

wisdirtfan
07-28-2014, 05:32 PM
What is everyone running for brake pads? We are running hawk black pads and it seems like they are not aggressive enough for the speeds. Its not a pressure problem because the pedal is always rock hard and after racing you can smell the brakes stinking but 2 different drivers have said the car doesn't stop like it should. I know someone will ask so it has 1 inch masters just rebuilt, ndl calipers with 1.75 pistons and new hawk black pads all around and scalloped 1.25 rotors. It just seems like its a pad problem any help is appreciated thanks.

7uptruckracer
07-29-2014, 07:09 AM
DTC 70 rear 30 fronts I think you can also call Hawk

Lizardracing
08-09-2014, 05:25 PM
Can those pads overheat and glaze over? can your turn the rotors and rebed the pads?

You said the pedal is rock hard. This might be just terminology and semantics but a pedal should not be rock hard with little travel. It will require more "foot power" and have little feel. Trying a 7/8 M/C would increase the feel and reduce the pedal effort as well as adding pressure at the caliper for stopping power. If you can go to a 3/4 M/C even better as long the pedal travel doesn't get too long for driver comfort.

andy16
08-10-2014, 07:36 PM
some mistakes ive made in the past are putting new pads on old rotors , if the rotors have any grooves or pitting new pads will make it worse. make sure you do the breaking in procedure right, it does make a difference with new pads. i put new pads on old rotors and had to use twice the force i did with the old pads. bought new rotors the next week broke em all in and it would lock em up from thenm on. also i ran a more aggresive pad on the lf to help the car on entry. i also did not run a scalloped rotor on the rf and did run a scalloped rotor on lf. the scalloped rotor heats up faster and in 5 laps will help your more agressive pad turn your car. its not a real big change but is noticable. it wont jerk the wheel out of your hand like shutting the r/f off will do. if you run with the r/f shut off alot try that setup and go back to 4 wheel brakes its alot more controlable or it was to me