PDA

View Full Version : Sponsors

strong08
07-29-2014, 07:07 PM
I do apologize if I am not in the right section on here to ask my question. I have been considering getting into a late model or a pure street. I have been going to my local track and watching and checking things out I have notice some of the cars have sponsors, most are local companies, how does a person go about obtaining a sponsor? Is it pretty easy to do so because I know in the go karting world there isn't a lot of sponsors. Do you just go out introduce yourself tell them what you are there for or is there a better way. And another question or two while on the subject if a person does get lucky enough to get a sponsor, what is the proper course to take do you shake hands or get something in writing, will they give you a check or cash. I am just wondering these questions so I would at least look half way professional. Thanks for any advise or comments.

FlatTire
07-30-2014, 09:38 AM
You probably won't get very far with people you don't know. Most of the sponsors I have are those we have done business with for several years. They usually provide their services/products at a reduced cost. All of my stuff is done with verbal agreements.

strong08
07-30-2014, 05:12 PM
Thanks alot , I wouldn't want a lot of money to me a discount on parts is like a lot just as good as someone giving me money. I thought about going to my local tire shop and asking them if they would break my tires down for free I would put there name on my car.

centralpa43
08-07-2014, 12:54 PM
I'll be honest when we started treating it like a business we starting getting better sponsors. You always need a foot in the door anywhere you go. We created sponsorship packets for that specific company along with attendance figures at our local tracks. They want to know what exposure they are going to get. Make everything about the sponsor and not about you. They are your customer and during the year keep them informed how things are going and show your appreciation in any way you can. Make friendships out of it. We get everything in writing because it will be used for tax purposes by both parties. It's not easy but we start even before season is done. The more discounts you can get from these larger companies the better off you are. 20% discount may not seems like much but it's money you now have to spend elsewhere!