PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some insight on a swing arm modified

langdonracing48
07-31-2014, 09:10 PM
I just bought an old swing arm modified to get me through the rest of this season. I don't know a whole lot about swing arm cars, I was wondering if I can get some pointers. The springs in the car are currently a 600 rf, 650 lf, 375 lr and a 350 rr. Shocks are 6 lf, 3/5 rf, 9/2 lr and 4 rr. Rear end is square in the car, no lead. Both of The top bars are on a slider, all the way down. the bottom bar brackets have 2 sets of 3 holes. Both arms are in the furthest back, middle hole now. Its got a biscuit style pull bar on it, no lift arm. It came with a J bar and a short panhard bar(12" center to center on heims). Running Hoosier e mod tires. Its got a metric clip with nova lowers. Its supposed to be an old lightning, but I have no idea for sure what it is. I'm curious on scale numbers too. Use to be on my buddies old swing arm car he'd run 280lbs of bite on dry slick, and 190 on a tacky track. I'm a 4 bar guy so that sounds crazy to me. Is that worth trying? He was always real low on cross too, 45-46%. Seems like you'd want somewhere around 49-52%? I'd appreciate any opinions.

35smod
07-31-2014, 10:02 PM
One of the best cars ive ever driven to this day was a lightning swing arm car I was almost dead on donnies setup but i was on metric lowers if you go by donnies setup recommendations for this car i think you'll be right in the ball park

35racing
08-01-2014, 12:20 PM
I had one too... won a lot of races with it... I run a clamped LR with 200 spring. Run around 120 LR bite. 56 rear. The car always had good side and great forward bite.

boppersims
08-03-2014, 06:31 AM
Sounds like the springs in the front are too light. They like wedge, try 1000 in the RF and 950 in the LF