PDA

View Full Version : Question

washeduptoo
08-05-2014, 09:00 PM
The other night our lf tire got cut down and we ran it for several laps before steering broke,but driver said that it had better forward drive after that. It could have been he had to drive the car different, it just got me thinking what it might be that caused that or is it telling us something to look at. Thanks for any opinion.

Dirtracer50
08-05-2014, 10:06 PM
Probably gained a decent amount of bite when the LF went flat. Not sure if that's what the driver was feeling just my first thought after reading it.

35smod
08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
I would agree with that gained lots of lr as the tire was loosing air giving you the extra drive it would be the same thing as taking the lr Jack bolt out as the race went on

langdonracing48
08-05-2014, 10:14 PM
Crank some bite in it this week and see how the driver likes it.

washeduptoo
08-05-2014, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the information and thoughts.

Anonymous24
08-06-2014, 05:11 AM
Put it on the scales with the left front flat. See where its at. I would start there first.

washeduptoo
08-06-2014, 05:45 AM
That is what I was thinking to do after realizing they are probably right about the lr bite. Put it on scales with a flat to see how much bite it had. Thanks

Confused?
08-06-2014, 06:10 PM
When you scale it, check the LS percentage to see if it increased as well. I have a feeling it did.

washeduptoo
08-06-2014, 06:16 PM
The driver has the car and he is suppose to look at lr bite and ls wt. He also said today that if the car gets upset at all it does have the drive, going have to look into this further. I think its because car drops off bars. Thanks

mudeater18
08-06-2014, 08:14 PM
When you scale it, check the LS percentage to see if it increased as well. I have a feeling it did.
The change won't affect the left side percentage. Only the LR bite will change.
Percentage can only be changed by moving physical weight, or by moving the wheels in or out either by wheel offsets, rear end location, etc.
I did the same thing one night. Cut down a LF and gained about 5 spots. Checked it and added the same amount of bite next week and was junk.
Race cars......not an exact science !

drtrkr244
08-06-2014, 08:41 PM
I doubt ur gaining any bite on exit due to the fact, the LF is usually off or just barely touching the track. On entry, you should be gaining a fair amount of bite to free up the car some.

washeduptoo
08-06-2014, 10:19 PM
Just want to see where the numbers are, already tried high lr bite and that didn't work for us. Right now, I think it had more to do with how he had to drive the car, maybe a learning race. Thanks

Confused?
08-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Mudeater, I would generally agree with that statement, but not in this case. With the LF dropping so much and the RR raising as a result, I think it could increase the LS a little. May be wrong but would like to see before and after numbers. It's not the same as jacking on weight jacks.

mudeater18
08-18-2014, 04:32 AM
What did you find out ?

washeduptoo
08-18-2014, 07:34 AM
I didn't, driver has the car and he does the maintenance/scaling and he hasn't had time to do it yet due to his work and repair on the car. Not racing this week and maybe he will get a chance to put on scale since it had no damage this weekend. If he does, I will be sure to post the information. He lives 2hrs from us for me to do it. Sorry

oldtrackchamp4x
08-18-2014, 06:59 PM
In my mind, you are dropping the lf ride height which is raising the rr ride height and taking bite out of rr. Maybe the car likes a higher rr ride height to plant rr and more lr bite. JMO

washeduptoo
08-18-2014, 10:18 PM
We haven't lowered the lf ride ht, but we have tried a higher lf ride ht, a higher rr ride ht and more lr bite but we never tried it all at once on purpose, like it could have done that night. lol I need to do it, but it might be this winter or make a trip down there. Thanks for all the suggestions and if I ever get it checked I will post it. Thanks again.