PDA

View Full Version : Dry sump question

LimitedLM06
08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
I'm not running a dry sump per se, but an external oil pump on a Ford Limited motor. I'm running a dry sump pump ( single stage) an external oil filter, and a cooler, in that order. The question is, that when starting the motor, I don't get oil pressure for maybe 30 seconds or so. Is this normal? I can't imagine running the motor that long without oil pressure! This is a flat tapper motor and I'm sure this is hurting it! Please help! Thanks guys

UltimateRaceCars
08-07-2014, 07:41 AM
When I had that same system I got a two quart accusump and used the solenoid valve so when I was going to start it flip the switch which opened the valve and it would prime the system. Just have to make sure to turn the switch off before you kill the engine to store the pressure.It is odd that it takes that long to get pressure, you may have your pulley ratios off and the pump is spinning to slow.

TheJet-09
08-07-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm not a Ford guy and haven't run flat tappet in forever, but 30 seconds without oil pressure is certain death to any engine. I turn mine over without ignition until I get oil pressure, then actually start it. With it taking that long to produce pressure at an idle speed, I would have to guess you have something bleeding down, which I believe an accusump can help with (I've never run one though).

save the racers
08-07-2014, 08:02 AM
Try a different gauge first and try to get the hose short as possible.

SLM98
08-07-2014, 08:13 AM
The oil is draining out of the oil cooler to the engine. Get a filter with a antidrainback valve that will help some.

LimitedLM06
08-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Thanks guys! I will look for a valve immediately. I appreciate your comments

Garrettshurling
08-07-2014, 07:03 PM
+1 on the accusump

fastford
08-07-2014, 08:48 PM
slm98 is correct, you have to run a filter with a check valve, I don't use a oil cooler but I have been running a single stage stock car product pump on my wet sump ford engines for years and never had a problem , I run my pump on top of the bell housing where the dry sump pump would go. ive run 50 lap races and never had a heat problem so I have never used a cooler, but if you are gone use one with this setup, I think it would need to be on the pressure side and not the savage side where it could restrict flow,

fastford
08-07-2014, 08:50 PM
also all I use is a motorcraft fl1 filter