PDA

View Full Version : Pull bar mount on chassis

ask0329
08-13-2014, 09:13 AM
My current pull bar is way too short and mounted in all the wrong places. I can move it fwd on the rear end no problem and all the right holes are there to get it where it needs to be on the rear end.

I need info on how to figure out where to re-mount it on the chassis going forward. I do have a longer pullbar and lots of spare parts so thats not an issue. I'm just unsure on where to put the new brackets on the chassis. Is there a scientific formula? Or just take my spare longer pull bar, set it up in there and where it falls, is where I put the new mounts? LOL Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

JustAddDirt
08-13-2014, 01:48 PM
I made a double mount.
It is the driveshaft hoop, as well as the pull bar mount. pull bar goes right over center of driveshaft, but it can move side to side about 4" total
I have 9 holes in it (3 rows of 3).
it is about 2" above driveshaft.
rear end I am ahead of center by 4"
car has great traction on a UMP tires.

drtrkr244
08-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Be sure you have the proper length tube so you can re-set your pinion angle.

Anonymous24
08-14-2014, 01:07 AM
As the axle wraps on acceleration, and the pull bar begins to create lift on the chassis. This lift raises the center of mass height and promotes additional weight percentage towards the rear. Lateral placement is crucial because it lifts the weight of the front wheel it is pointed and directs it to the rear wheel that the rear mount is closest to. It gets technical. Understanding weight distribution and transfer is crucial to set the pull bar at optimum locations.

ask0329
08-14-2014, 11:45 AM
I'm virtually a back marker as it is and only plan on driving this car for 5 more races this year. Just wanted to move it and get it slightly better for the last few races. Its a home built car that was basically given to me a few years ago and i've been driving with it in the wrong spot for the whole time. Looking at getting a "factory" built chassis for next year. Figured it wouldnt take more than an hour or two to remount. Just wanted to get it close to where it should be. Its currently only like a 21" pullbar and is mounted about an inch behind centerline of the rear axle. Theres plenty of holes to go forward on the rear end, just nothing on the chassis side. The current mount that came on the car is completely wrong. I have the exact same pullbar as a spare with a lot longer rod on it from a buddys car. I'll be sure to keep pinion angle in mind as I'm changing the chassis mount. I may go by the "see where the new pullbar falls method and do up a bracket in that general area.

born-to-race
08-19-2014, 02:19 PM
mount 3" behind the rear center line or 4" in front of the rear center line??? I have read both.

Fox_hunter42
08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
7 inches above rear end housing, 15 degree angle down to frame somewhere behind drivers seat, towards center of car. I had an extra wide bracket on both ends. I could move left or right of center by using different spacers

ask0329
08-20-2014, 06:00 AM
I'll check the movement indicator tonight. Havent had a chance to get back to the car and work on it just yet.