PDA

View Full Version : Made the switch from Modified to Legends

dukesracin
08-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Looking for some opinions here. I sold the modified and bought a US Legends 37 Sedan.
We are racing on a 1/4 mile dirt track with medium banking
What are some thoughts for setup here, should be very similar to a 3 bar mod?
Does the short wheelbase change any of the dynamics?
Bottom links are 15" left- 2deg downhill to front / 15.25" right - 0 deg at ride height, top link is solid
The pan hard bar was switched from stock asphalt setup to work better on dirt
(Panhard is now like this: Chassis mounts higher on left - rear housing mounts lower on right side)

Car handles very well, scale numbers for reference: very balanced car
LF-278 / RF-275
LR-288 / RR-288
Left%-50 / Rear%-51

Legends specs:
WHEELBASE 73.00"
OVERALL WIDTH 60.00"
OVERALL LENGTH 10' 6"
HEIGHT 46"
ENGINE Yamaha 1250cc (sealed)
HORSEPOWER 132 HP
WEIGHT 1300 lbs. with driver

UltimateRaceCars
08-14-2014, 09:30 AM
Is this a legal Legend or a dwarf car thing because you cant alter the mounts on a legends car? I am heavily involved in Legends dirt car setup and repair but dont have any dwarf car experience.

dukesracin
08-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Is this a legal Legend or a dwarf car thing because you cant alter the mounts on a legends car? I am heavily involved in Legends dirt car setup and repair but dont have any dwarf car experience.

The track we race at is not sanctioned, more of an "outlaw" legends track. They are racing Legends, Micro 270 and 600 and go karts - the buggy style you buy at Tractor Supply.

The rules are as follows:
Safety: All drivers must wear a fire retardant suit of Nomex or equivalent material any time they are on the track. A double layer or more is highly recommended. Fire suits must be labeled flame retardant (made of flame retardant materials or have S.F.I. patch indicating fire retardant). Damaged suits may be disallowed. Gloves must be worn when on the racing surface. Raceceivers must be used when on the racing surface. Drivers must wear a DOT approved helmet. All cars must be equipped minimum 5 point harness. Drivers are recommended to wear neck brace or head and neck restraint. Cars must be equipped with automatic fire suppression system or fire extinguisher. Roll bar padding is mandatory on all bars within one foot of driver's helmet.

Seats: All seats must be made by authorized seat manufacture and mounted with a minimum of grade 5 bolt. NO HOMEMADE SEATS will be permitted.

Frames, Body, and Suspension, etc.: Aerodynamic spoilers, air dams, or other aerodynamic devices are not permitted. Frame must be stock and Body must be of Legend look.

Bumpers: All cars must be equipped with front and rear bumpers at all times while on the race surface. If the bumper comes completely off or is dragging the track, the cars crew must reattach the bumper and will have 3 laps to make repairs and get back on the track. The repaired car will go to the back of the field.

Engine: Engine must remain 1200 - 1300 cc engine. (Outlaws)

Labeling: Cars must be labeled with designated #'s on both sides and top of car and legible. Numbers must be minimum height of 16" on both doors and 12" on the roof (number facing towards the outside of the track). If two drivers show up at the track with the same numbers, the race director will determine number assignment. The size, color, and style of numbers must be adequate to permit prompt identification by track officials at all times.

Firewall: A metal firewall is mandatory. Firewall must be installed. Using a "Thicker than Stock" metal firewall separating the driver's compartment from the engine compartment is okay.

Windshields/Screens: All cars must have either a screen or lexan windshield in the front window area. A lexan sun visor is also permitted in the front window. Holes are permitted in the lexan windshield.

dukesracin
08-14-2014, 04:30 PM

By the way, I was looking at your recommended dirt setup online.
That is what prompted me to start hunting for some dirt legends setup info.
I am pretty close to your recommendations for starting points but I still don't know the spring rates that came with the car. My ride heights are a bit off from yours, mine is higher in front than in rear.
The car with previous owners won races last year, and I have driven it one time with good results. I was able to run with the leaders in my first race before someone spun me out and I went to the rear.