PDA

View Full Version : Progressive Springs

mab475
08-19-2014, 07:56 PM
What spring manufactures make progressive style springs?

fastford
08-19-2014, 08:38 PM
im sure others do, but the only one ive ever had was afco...

hpmaster
08-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Progressive springs were tried quite a few years ago on race cars. AFCO uses them on 5th coils and I have used them in that application and had good results. BUT on a fifth coil you are dealing with a limited and in my opinion a more repeatable movement. Quite sometime ago I was told by a spring manufacturer that a progressive spring is a controlled coil bind situation and any coil bind is unacceptable. This is why I believe you are seeing stacked springs and variable bumps used to accomplish the same effect and still be able to get a shock package to work. I am sure there are others on 4m can explain linear effect and other associated issues better than I can.

fastford
08-20-2014, 05:19 PM
your correct about the coil bind issue HP, I tried one on 5th coil several years back, had good traction when I first picked up throttle, but I think it binded up and unloaded the tires. we do have better shock control now and it might work better with a lot of rebound, ive actually been thinking of trying a soft spring and a bump stop on the 5th, has anyone ever tried this?

Garrettshurling
08-20-2014, 07:31 PM
I heard Mark Bush from AFCO talk about progressive springs while at RaceWise this year. I never really heard him suggest that they be used anywhere on the car. It sounds like something that should be on the 5th coil, but I guess it just doesn't turn out in real world testing...

MasterSbilt_Racer
08-20-2014, 07:50 PM
your correct about the coil bind issue HP, I tried one on 5th coil several years back, had good traction when I first picked up throttle, but I think it binded up and unloaded the tires. we do have better shock control now and it might work better with a lot of rebound, ive actually been thinking of trying a soft spring and a bump stop on the 5th, has anyone ever tried this?

You are likely to wind up with something that behaves like a progressive spring. That is what I found. And I don't like either one.

fastford
08-21-2014, 08:27 AM
your probably right masters, were always looking for more forward bite in the super slick, im just thinking with the way better shock control we have nowadays, the bump stop idea might work, especially with a lot of low speed rebound, who knows.