PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Transmission Issues

Lucky13x
08-21-2014, 04:11 AM
Ok first off let me state that I am brand new to modified racing, haven't raced a modified yet, and came up from 600cc dirt micro sprints. I have been around full size sprint cars and cars in generally most of my life but we don't know much about modified's. We bought a Hassy Chassis modified that came with a 421 SBC and what we were told was a bert transmission. Upon further inspection of the transmission we have figured out that it is actually a falcon transmission and am unsure on the engine size now. The current problem we are having is that the transmission with shift into low and reverse without any major issues but will not shift into high gear with the engine off. When trying to shift into high gear while driving it tries to go in but then kicks out. It seems to me like something internal is blocking it from completely going into high gear. We have tried adjusting the linkage without any success. We were hoping to get the car out once or twice this year before tearing into it replacing and rebuilding it as it needs. Any ideas on what could be causing this problem?

powerslide
08-21-2014, 11:34 AM
I would suggest sending it in to falcon or find someone local who has dealt with them. They have dent balls that keep it in gear and its pretty tricky to get correct. If nothing else try calling falcon they are made by these folks www.maverickperformance.com/

FlatTire
08-21-2014, 04:13 PM
I would call them up and ask for Charlie Castle. He is very smart and always very helpful. I've had the same one in my racecar for close to 10yrs now.
You might have to rock the car back and forth a little to get it into high gear with the engine off.

By the sounds of it you probably need a new main input shaft. They have part schematics on the Winters website. Did you try and force it in there and let it grind? Or maybe the previous owner did. They do what you are describing when the teeth are chewed up and won't align for engagement. The Falcon has never just dropped into high gear like a Brinn does, but if you are hearing a bunch of grinding noises when trying to slide it into high, it won't take long at all before you grind up that input shaft. The first one I ever had I screwed up before I even got it on the race track exactly like you are describing. I had the idle set too high and kept forcing it.

If its dropping into gear with out a bunch of grinding, and not staying in gear then your detent balls on the shift rails are worn out/need adjusted. There's a set screw/jam nut on the top of the case to adjust this. I doubt this is the problem tho.

In the future, set your idle at about 1000rpm, just enough to keep the motor running. When you get rolling, take it up to about 3500-4000rpm, let off the gas and pull it back into high. You will hear just a slight gear "grind" but it will go right in.

Also, make sure you grease the splines that mate to the coupler/hub.

Lucky13x
08-21-2014, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Probably will drop the transmission and take it to somebody for a rebuild.

Lizardracing
08-21-2014, 10:50 PM
If you have a local machine shop you might have the machine shop put the main shaft in a rotary chuck and cut a bevel in the main gear teeth. It's help them fall into gear. Nothing like the dog of a Brinn however. It also helps to be quick with the shift. DO NOT SLAM it in gear but be quick and purposeful.