PDA

View Full Version : grooving tires

Duckhnter83
09-07-2014, 11:15 PM
What has everyone found that works the best when grooving tires on a dry slick surface? Wide groves? Narrow groves? Just curious what everyone's thoughts are. Also siping patterns on a dry slick track. I am required to run Hoosier g60s junk.

oldtrackchamp4x
09-08-2014, 10:13 AM
I run IMCA so i can only sipe. Backs i sipe straight across about 75% of tread depth and 1/8 in space between sipes. RF sipe from 8 oclock to 4 oclock looking from back of tire. I don't sipe LF just grind. Go to Hoosier tire .com for info. What i do seems to work for me. JMO

Anonymous24
09-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Do not groove on dry slick. You are better off running an older tire that is worn down so you have more contact patch placed against the track surface

oldtrackchamp4x
09-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Anonymous24, tried that and it did not work for me but maybe on a certain kind of track. My times were way faster on G60s that were new or ones with at least 50% tread that had been ground and then siped. JMO

Anonymous24
09-15-2014, 02:04 AM
I don't know if I can agree with this. Why is an older tire better than newer one? Pros and cons would be great.The older tire is better than the new one on a dry slick smooth racing surface because the worn away tread allows for more contact patch surface area to be placed against the track.if the track is very abrasive, I recommend running an A compound tire to those who run UMP.

Anonymous24
09-15-2014, 02:06 AM
A couple days ago I posted a large response with much info. For some reason it did not post or was removed.Sorry guys, Ill get it posted up here again

Anonymous24
09-15-2014, 02:27 AM
TiresOne of the most understood components of a racing vehicle. The best set up out there is irrelevant if you do not understand your tires. I am going to keep this short and sweet since its late. If there are any questions, please ask.Heavy track: You want to run a HARD compound that has U shaped grooves that are utilized over approximately 60-70% of the contact patchTacky and Dry track: If able to run a choice of compounds, I recommend running a compound that is a little softer than the Hard compound. U shaped groves should be cut into approximately 40-50% of the contact patch. Also, a couple of sipes around the circumference of the inner tread chain on the right rear tire to help dissipate heat that is accumulated from the radiant rotor heat. Dry and SlickI recommend using a couple older tires where the tread is wore down which exposes more contact patch surface area to make contact with the track. Sipes on the inner tread chains of the RR tire are important too. Now this is where many of you will think that I am nuts. When the track is very dry slick and starts to show a bluish to dark grey haze upon the surface, run a SOFT compound tire. If there is a little loose material upon the track surface, V shaped grooves should be utilized in this scenario. Groove no more than 30% of the contact patch. As the tread wears away, the grooves narrow giving you more available contact patch. Please ask if you have any questions. I have much information I can share on this subject for those willing to ask.Thanks

mod88s
09-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Jeff, how did it go sunday?

thinkstomuch
09-16-2014, 06:40 AM
Anonymous24 - what is your thought are these sipe methods when you can't afford so many different tires? You've got 3-4 methods, are these on all tires or just RR. If just RR I could see it but with others then we'd need a happy medium. Also are you sipe all the way across?

oldtrackchamp4x
09-16-2014, 03:07 PM
Reread my post on siping. Sipe 50% of tread depth, not 75%. Using Imca stamped G60 hard as a hockey puck tires. JMO

Anonymous24
09-21-2014, 05:33 AM
Anonymous24 - what is your thought are these sipe methods when you can't afford so many different tires? You've got 3-4 methods, are these on all tires or just RR. If just RR I could see it but with others then we'd need a happy medium. Also are you sipe all the way across?I prefer that all 4 tires are grooved, siped, and ground. When you have a well balanced race car, all 4 tires are working hard. All 4 tires need attention, but with each one a unique approach should be used. You wouldnt do the LF like the RR would you? I sure hope not. Proper tire analysis will tell you what each of the corners need. Every driver wears tires differently. It is crucial to be very in depth paying much attention to temperature and wear patterns.