PDA

View Full Version : Tire Life

fastlane99
09-08-2014, 10:12 AM
Switching to a track that runs open tire rule. Rookie this year so still getting use to tire wear and everything. Just wondered how many tires we may go through per night running an open tire rule on a track that is fairly smooth but slicks off pretty good by feature time. Most guys that are competitive seem to be running 1300s or 1350s most of the night. Just trying to figure out a tire budget for next season. Thanks

lovinlatemodels
09-08-2014, 03:49 PM
Depends on set up and driving style. If you are buzzing off the tires every night you can figure on new every night. I always figured on bare essentials for me it was LF tire 6 nights, RF tire 4 nights, LR tire 2 nights, RR tire new every night this for me was like i said bare essentials for features only. Qualifying i would try and get 5 nights out of a LR and 3 out of the RR. This is not always the same every where you go also. I have also in the past used a grooving iron to cut new square edges a tire to get some fresh edges to get another night or two out of a tire.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2014, 05:00 AM
This varies wildly. We use maybe 2 lf all summer for 25+ races. Usually use a feature rr at least 4 times. Lr and rf go a little longer sometimes.

save the racers
09-09-2014, 09:01 AM
It depends alot on how stiff the competition is as well. If fast guys are bolting on new ones every week its more likely you will have to more often to keep up.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2014, 09:37 AM
It depends alot on how stiff the competition is as well. If fast guys are bolting on new ones every week its more likely you will have to more often to keep up.

Our fast guys just tear theirs up every week.

wildman31
09-10-2014, 02:11 PM
Depends a lot too on the track surface... A track that tends to hold moisture and maintain grip is much easier on tires than a track that dries out fast. Of course the amount of laps you're running comes into play too. An open motor car running 40+ lap features will need tires replaced a lot more frequently than a crate car running 15-30 lap features at weekly shows.

Matt49
09-10-2014, 04:33 PM
And a track with a lot of sand in it will chew up tires pretty quick even when there is moisture.