PDA

View Full Version : Masters ?

Drake Racing
09-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Ok, I bought a couple cars on a buyout deal, and im not sure what Ive got.
Called Masters with chassis #s and what they are telling me is different from
what I was told the cars were. First car was a Ray Cook car, it is an older chassis
but looks darn near new. Masters cant give me an exact year, but think its an 06
They confirm its a Ray Cook car but say its a smack.... Guy I got it from says its been
updated to Gen X. Talked to Ray Cook and he says its been updated by Masters
to Gen x. My problem is how to tell? I know its been updated, but to what?
want to make sure I get the right parts on it.
Thanks,
Curt Drake
LM #55x

7uptruckracer
09-09-2014, 07:08 AM
Get Control arm lengths and spindle measurements!

HuckleberryB4
09-09-2014, 07:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the uprights on the drivers side aren't straight. They bend in towards the motor.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2014, 08:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken, the uprights on the drivers side aren't straight. They bend in towards the motor.

Newer smacks do too.

HuckleberryB4
09-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Wasn't aware of that. Mines an old Smack. lol

Matt49
09-09-2014, 09:13 AM
The difference is more than just front end and you could have any number of combinations especially if it's been worked on or built anywhere but at Masters. The rear-end of a true Gen-X is also quite a bit different than a Smack (bar lengths, axle lengths, rear-end placement, etc.).

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-09-2014, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately, Matt is correct.

If you have a good understanding of cars, just build it so that it is "right".

That said. I would expect that Ray could/would give you the correct info if it was his car.

What parts are on it now? Want to sell it?

Drake Racing
09-09-2014, 04:45 PM
Im trying to build "right" that's why im trying to figure out what it is. Ray wasn't 100% sure because it had been a while since it was his, but thought it was one of the first gen x conversions.
Im fairly sure frt is gen x as the lowers bolt on the front of the crossmember, and my old smack they are behind, just lookin for a few measurements to be sure... the rear I have no idea so im lookin to get pointed in the right direction. any suggestions?

Curt Drake
LM#55x

Matt49
09-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Im trying to build "right" that's why im trying to figure out what it is. Ray wasn't 100% sure because it had been a while since it was his, but thought it was one of the first gen x conversions.
Im fairly sure frt is gen x as the lowers bolt on the front of the crossmember, and my old smack they are behind, just lookin for a few measurements to be sure... the rear I have no idea so im lookin to get pointed in the right direction. any suggestions?

Curt Drake
LM#55x

Let's start up front. Need some measurements to confirm the geometry on the front end. Control arm lengths and spindle heights would be great.

For the back, I'd start by pulling the axles and measuring them. In general, 33/35 is smack and 34/35 is Gen-x or some variation thereof (assuming they had the correct rear in the car).
Then tell us how long all of the 4 bars are. Some pictures of the rear mounting brackets might help also as there have been a few options on the Gen-X cars (GenXtra, long bar options, etc.).