PDA

View Full Version : starter trouble with brinn bellhousing

moddyfied
09-08-2014, 10:58 PM
Curious to know what works well for other racers. We have a brinn bellhousing and flywheel setup and have little issues in the past. Now we cant seem to get anything to work. Ive had quartermaster, brinn and a couple other brand starters and all seem to not engage properly. I've shimed starter out (didnt work so took shims out), shimmed flywheel out with 2 shims and it worked fine for couple weeks and now its acting like it wont engage again. Motor is a short block Chevrolet Mullins with a brinn flywheel and bellhousing. Currently have a brinn starter on also. How many shims and where do they need to go?

mudeater18
09-09-2014, 04:38 AM
Did you make sure to grease the zerk and that the idler moves freely ? I run a Brinn and some times after I wash the car and it's sits, I need to grease it and move it in and out by hand a couple of times to get it to work correctly.

save the racers
09-09-2014, 08:54 AM
I built a starter the way that everyone says on these forums and the way a brinn engages the starter is different from a bert. The brinn has a shoulder on the idler where as the bert does not. It is much more crucial where you weld the gear when you are using it on a brinn bell. Brinn bell's engage off the nose of the starter gear where on the bert they engage off the back of the starter gear. How much space do you have between the flywheel and the idler?

z40chief
09-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Make sure you have .080-.100 gap between flywheel and idler gear. Shim accordingly. You should have no trouble then.