PDA

View Full Version : Forward Bite help please!

tsnmotorsports
09-15-2014, 08:56 AM
Ok guys I really need some help getting up and out of the corners... Car wants to go more across the track then it does forward (though the up the track is not horrible). Car handles great except for the exit. I really need it to jump out of the corner.

Here is some general information. I can get you more if you need or if you message me. Thanks for everyone's help.

4bar/4bar Spring Behind
Underslung car

Scales:
481 479
661 632

Springs
650 700
200 225

Bar Location

Left top- Neutral
Left Bottom- 1 down from neutral

Right Top- One up from Neutral
Right Bottom- One bottom from Neutral

2 way pull bar 1225 with spring spacer at 1/2' preload

J- bar with 6 inches of rake

BSB shock package

Any other info needed??

Thanks Again!

mod88s
09-15-2014, 10:24 AM
You could either raise the LR bottom bar or put a 650 spring in RF. I would raise LR bottom bar first and see what happens.

tsnmotorsports
09-15-2014, 11:38 AM
Mod88 can you explain how raising the LR lower bar will help? Thanks

Stock Car... It is straight up. no lead And yes forward drive...

Thanks guys

setup479point2
09-15-2014, 07:42 PM
Drop R upper 2 holes would be my first adjustment , if its driving the rear up the track on exit.

mod88s
09-15-2014, 07:48 PM
The way I read it sounded to me that you are too tight on exit and it wants to push the nose towards the outside wall which is causing the whole car to float out towards the wall. Am I understanding this correctly? Are you turning the wheel to the left or to the right as you come out of the corner?

rob burgoon
09-15-2014, 07:48 PM
Are you loose or tight on exit? Or neither and it's just kinda.... crabbing?

tsnmotorsports
09-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Rob it is more of the car wants to slide up the track instead of going forward. I wouldn't call it loose as the back of the car does not want to step out. It just does not want to go forward hard at all.

Mod. It is not wanting to push the nose that I feel. Though I am getting the floating sensation toward the wall. I am keeping the wheel pretty straight coming out with a small turn to the right.

I know it sounds confusing. I'm sorry just new to the mods. Never had this problem before in my other cars.

I do appreciate your guys help, I just want the darn thing to launch out of the corners.

mod88s
09-16-2014, 09:18 AM
What are you weight %'s and where is your jbar on the pinion?

tsnmotorsports
09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
50.7 left
50.5 cross (If I did the math right)
57 Rear

J bar 1 inch lower then pinion

HuckleberryB4
09-16-2014, 09:50 AM
Add more LR bite. You're only at 29 lbs. if your numbers above are correct.

HuckleberryB4
09-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Definitely need to get your Left % up too. You're about 5-6% lower than you want to be.

Bcollins82
09-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Definitely need to get your Left % up too. You're about 5-6% lower than you want to be.

His numbers are without driver. You wouldn't want to be at 55% LS before adding driver weight. As far as the original question, I'm not really sure what you are asking. Its not tight, its not loose, it has no forward drive, but it wants to go toward the wall... one of the above doesn't really fit... If it's balanced but lacking drive, maybe look at your pullbar and make sure it isn't binding, your biscuits or spring aren't worn out, and make sure your damper shock isn't topping out the extension on throttle?

save the racers
09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Unless he weighs 500pds he isnt going to pickup 5-6% of left side w/ the driver.

He needs to be around 52-53 w/o driver, If the driver is between 160-220. His starting point is 2-3% off for w/o driver numbers.

rob burgoon
09-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Rob it is more of the car wants to slide up the track instead of going forward. I wouldn't call it loose as the back of the car does not want to step out. It just does not want to go forward hard at all.

Mod. It is not wanting to push the nose that I feel. Though I am getting the floating sensation toward the wall. I am keeping the wheel pretty straight coming out with a small turn to the right.

I know it sounds confusing. I'm sorry just new to the mods. Never had this problem before in my other cars.

I do appreciate your guys help, I just want the darn thing to launch out of the corners.

If you have the steering wheel a little to the right, this sounds like a little loose and maybe a little much rear steer causing some crabbing?

I don't know these cars well, but in your shoes I would be tempted to try lowering the right rear upper bar an inch back to what you're calling "neutral" and see what that does. (my guess is it will further reduce rearsteer and favor the LR tire tightening the car up on exit)

For grip, what tire pressures are you running and which tire? What conditions and what grooving/siping?

Do you have video? If not, small HD cameras are stupidly affordable these days.

Bubstr
09-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Do you have ballast mounted in the car? Can you raise it? Raise it till RR tire gets too hot on the pyrometer or loose. If you start getting loose in the rear you may have to make a J bar adjustment, softer spring in RF or more LR bar angle to get it back to neutral side bite. There is a point of diminishing returns, hit it and back off. You can transfer too much or not enough weight and they both act quite similar.

You say new to this. Sometimes you have to go slow to go fast. That right foot letting up some to catch the traction, then pushing it but not over doing it is worth a lot of forward bite. I'd call it seat of the pants / feather foot driving. The go pedal is not a off / on button. Try this first. Hopefully you have a motor that has a smooth torque curve that allows this. Horsepower is just horsepower, useable horsepower is the nuts. A wide ark on your go pedal helps too. I just mentioned this, because it is a common thing with new drivers.

mod88s
09-16-2014, 02:04 PM
I agree with a lot of what the others have said. Here is what I would do if it was my car.
1) get left side % up to 52%
2) Lower top right bar 1 hole. (curious how much angle this would be)
3)Add bite. Go up to 80-100lbs.
4)Drop Jbar on pinion 1 more inch. this will help plant the rr and help it from skating up the track.

You could try these 1 at a time to see how your car reacts. If it was me, I would do them all at once according to what your telling me.

tsnmotorsports
09-19-2014, 07:46 AM
Everyone thanks for your input and help. Last night I moved the RR top rod down and it helped the car a ton! I do appreciate everyone's advice and hopefully this will help someone else also.