PDA

View Full Version : Landrum Bump stop springs

racerkid12
09-21-2014, 07:56 PM
was wondering if anyone has toyed with landrums spring style bump stops, and how they compare to the rubber style stops

Nobody
09-25-2014, 05:17 AM
I've tested many of those types of deals in the past, but do like the extra travel that those springs have compared to the older ones that I tested. They can be used just like any other tool in the LM world, some may like them and others not.

Personally, I'm not a fan of them but to each his own.

7uptruckracer
09-25-2014, 07:11 AM
Most of these springs are linear, and because its a spring require a ton of rebound to control compared to the bumpstop. The PRO of a spring is its linear properties through its travel, which can be a benefit because its not exponentially adding wheel load. A traditional bumpstop being an Xmas tree style, Roller Skate Wheel or Puck style, has a progressive give some can be pretty extreme curves can load the wheel tremendously, and spike tire loadings. The drawback on the springs is the high rebound required to control the spring, its hard on mounts and arms traditionally used in DLM. I have used the CRD bumpsprings the softer one they make can go quite well on the DLM, but you don't want to see the rebound it requires, and shock bleed is super important to or you will ratchet the car down and start breaking mounts.

racerkid12
09-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the info new to the late model world and starting to explore bump stops

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Any time you coil bind a spring, its life is reduced. Keep that in mind.

RRR_Products
09-28-2014, 09:35 PM
If you plan on running them be sure you re rate them after 3-4 nights. Also when compressing them anything over 33% they start losing rate sooner. I'd stick to urethane type springs which are progressive and I believe more consistent.

let-r-eat
09-29-2014, 03:37 PM
MasterbuiltRacer wrote:"Any time you coil bind a spring, its life is reduced. Keep that in mind."Ditto. I call these "POT LUCK" designs.

Matt49
09-29-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks for the info new to the late model world and starting to explore bump stops

Not to sound like an a$s but if you're new to late models, I would recommend sticking with conventional RF setups. Figuring out a bump stop setup can take a lot of tuning and it will interfere with the number one thing you need which is seat time in a consistent handling car. When not perfect, the bump stop and stack spring setups can be incredibly unpredictable and difficult to drive consistently; especially for a new driver.

Just food for thought. Late models are complicated enough. I'd recommend keeping it simple before getting into these types of setups. I speak from experience.

fastford
09-29-2014, 09:02 PM
Not to sound like an a$s but if you're new to late models, I would recommend sticking with conventional RF setups. Figuring out a bump stop setup can take a lot of tuning and it will interfere with the number one thing you need which is seat time in a consistent handling car. When not perfect, the bump stop and stack spring setups can be incredibly unpredictable and difficult to drive consistently; especially for a new driver.

Just food for thought. Late models are complicated enough. I'd recommend keeping it simple before getting into these types of setups. I speak from experience.

I agree 100% , also you have to really understand what's going on with the rear also, it all has to work together