PDA

View Full Version : smackdown RR tire wear

jack06
09-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Will to much bite wear the right rear? The car is really good just having problems keeping the rr trie on it.

MasterSbilt_Racer
09-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Typically, a car that is too tight wears the inside of RR and outside of lr. If you are wearing the RR more in general, dynamically the RR is probably loaded more than the lr.

Matt49
09-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Too much bite can cause increased RR tire temps and wear.
The reason being that increased bite can get you too tight when picking up the throttle in the center of the corner. Then the driver has to throttle the car up and pinch it to get it to turn and then you end up with a loose exit condition and abuse the RR tire. The driver will likely tell you all about how loose the car was on exit and have no memory of being tight in the center. This driver does it all the time.

TheJet-09
09-24-2014, 11:30 AM
My tires wear like MasterSbilt_Racer describes, but I also love stagger (5" - 7"). What effect do you think stagger itself has on tire wear (at least going down the straight)?

HuckleberryB4
09-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I'm guessing you love stagger, because your overly tight.

drtrkr244
09-24-2014, 07:38 PM
Generally, cars with too much stagger have excessive wheel spin on the straightaways.

The smallest radius of a turn, that I ever measured, was 125ft. That only required 5.75 inches.If ur running 7". you definitely have some handling issues. Stagger is a mathematical equation involving turn radius, rear track width, and track conditions.Track conditions can cause a variable up to 20% more or less.

TheJet-09
09-25-2014, 08:06 AM
I'm sure my like/need for stagger is a crutch or comprimise at best. But I've always felt the car is more predictable or driveable with more stagger versus less. And maybe I should point out that I only use 7" when its hammer down and/or real rough. I also don't have the horsepower to "drive out" of a tight condition under those circumstances, so the stagger helps.