PDA

View Full Version : KSE Pump and lines

DirtRacer9x
09-26-2014, 06:02 PM
Anyone had any issues running the lines on lower frame rail vs upper? Feed and return? Thanks

racin6mod
09-26-2014, 07:24 PM
I always run my fuel line (feed line)on the lower rail return on the upper side easy to keep track of and always have some fuel in the feed line the power steering side in most cases wouldn't matter. but you should be ok just stay away from the heat of the heat as much as possible.

Anonymous24
09-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Position the fuel lines in an area that is not in harms way in case of severe crashes. Other than that, I prefer the lines to be mounted higher on the chassis rather than lower. I always try to keep all component weight high up, and located on the chassis in an area that is beneficial to performance. You may say what does fuel lines have to do with handling. Well every component has weight, maybe 2 pounds, maybe 3O pounds. The mounting locations of such items have a profound affect on weight, and the transfer of weight dynamically.

DirtRacer9x
09-26-2014, 08:00 PM
I'm wondering if it matters higher or lower for start up too. I've seen some higher and some lower. Just want a real reason why they differ.

Anonymous24
09-26-2014, 08:08 PM
I have mounted the lines in several locations. As long as the pump stays primed, you shouldnt have any problems. I strongly recommend running a fuel pressure gauge when running that type of pump. A failure in an internal seal can allow fuel to bleed into the power steering system or vise versa. Running a pressure gauge can be a sure indicator of a malfunction in most circumstances. This is a lesson that was learned the expensive way if you get what I mean

DirtRacer9x
09-26-2014, 08:13 PM
I have a fuel pressure gauge. Does it stay primed better top or bottom? Also one of our cars has a lever just below headers to turn fuel on and off. Why?

Anonymous24
09-26-2014, 08:39 PM
the lever to turn the fuel on and off is helpful when you have to remove your pump for service or repair. having the fuel shut off stops the fuel from draining completely from the inlet line when disconnected from the pump, saving fuel and making the priming process a little easier. as for keeping the pump primed, i have had no issues with priming no matter the location of the lines. i also must say that i have always tried to keep the lines straight as possible with minimal curves or angles.

DirtRacer9x
09-27-2014, 01:17 AM
So when running a shut off valve should I turn valve off and let it run outta fuel while running or what? I'm running 110 also.

Anonymous24
09-27-2014, 05:20 AM
no. while engine is off, shut the valve then remove the inlet line. you will lose some fuel from both inlet and return. we also shut the valve while transporting the car. the shut off valve is more convenience than necessity.

DirtRacer9x
09-27-2014, 11:12 AM
So the guy that told me to shut off valve and run dry was full of it? I'm just trying to figure out the best thing to do. Fuel and carb wise.

Anonymous24
09-27-2014, 12:22 PM
The engine builder that we use says that a shut off valve is not needed. Running the fuel out is hard on plugs. Currently we do not have a shut off valve and havent had any carb or fuel issues.

mod88s
09-27-2014, 03:17 PM
You don't want to run the KSE pump dry, it will ruin it. Just drain your carb each week and put gas or wd40 in it.

oldtrackchamp4x
09-27-2014, 05:14 PM
He is running 110. There is no reason to drain it. JMO

DirtRacer9x
09-27-2014, 05:38 PM
So is the shut off on the lower frame rail so it doesn't all drain back into the tank or what?

Anonymous24
09-27-2014, 08:58 PM
The shut off restricts the fuel flow when performing maintenance/repairing the pump. Once the fuel feed is removed from the pump, fuel will flow through the feed line.

save the racers
09-28-2014, 08:24 PM
Some people run a shutoff because they have hydro locked an engine with fuel. I feel like its more of a hassle than anything.

We were working on fuel issues on a car i was driving for a guy and turned it off while we took the regulator off. On the way to line up the car died i had to unbuckle and get out of the car turn it back on and get back in the car and get it refired.

I dont believe any pump is designed to be run dry, Gas should not have issues and should be able to go a month or two with gas sitting in it, methanol is another story.