PDA

View Full Version : crankshaft question

Creppers
10-01-2014, 04:08 AM
just got a new crankshaft from advance how do I check the Clearance when I put it together. will just plastic gauge work how much will I need to try and get 2300 ford

thanks for any help

Dirtman29
10-01-2014, 08:28 PM
I would plastigage it, I torque my 2.3L mains at 85 ft# & usually have .002-.003 clearance. Same clearance on rods @ 35 ft#. Only downside is IF you buy std bearings and plastigage doesnt compress, you have to go buy another set of .025 or .050 bearings. You could easily mic the crank before assembly & probably figure out what bearings you need if you know what an uncut crank measures. Im sure someome here has that info.

84Dave
10-02-2014, 10:31 AM
Or.......... install the new bearings, torque the main caps, and use a dial-bore gauge to measure the ID of the installed bearings. The dial-bore gauge is handy because you can measure the vertical ID as well as the near-horizontal ID, near the parting-lines of the bearings. Don't be surprised if the near-horizontal ID is larger than the vertical. -Dave-

engineczar
10-03-2014, 01:25 PM
Is it a new crank or a reman crank? Often the parts stores cranks are cranks that have been cleaned, mag'd, and ground to an undersize. Check on the box or look on the front throw for an undersize stamp unless you know for sure it's a stock journal size. If you can't find it then check the journal sizes with a micrometer. Stock 2.3 journals are 2.0468 rods, 2.3986 early mains, 2.205 late mains.

This will put you in the ballpark for using either plastigage or a dial bore gage and save you the hassle of buying the wrong size out of the gate.