PDA

View Full Version : Leaf spring mounting

HMS27
10-08-2014, 10:07 AM
Building a new clip car and installing leaf springs. What Is the purpose of making the front mounts narrower then the rear. I've seen them built both parallel and splayed so what's the deal?

HMS27
10-09-2014, 04:20 AM
113 people viewed and not a single reply. Must have everyone stumped on this one.

DaveBauerSS6
10-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Parallel will allow the springs to deflect more than toeing in. This can give the driver a false loose feel. Too a small degree, the deflection can add additional momentum in slipping the tire contact.

Go easy on the coil guys.

HMS27
10-10-2014, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. So a small toe in of the front spring eyes would be a more ideal way to keep a more consistent feel?

Krooser
10-12-2014, 03:14 AM
I've only run the springs parallel… my super stock is a leaf car and those springs are also parallel. Dave seems to be more familiar with the splayed deal… but those west coast guys are always ahead of the curve anywho...

HMS27
10-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. The last one I ran with leafs were parallel too. I read one sight that said the only reason they ever made the back wider on the Camero's were to allow room for a larger gas tank and the exhaust to fit inside the springs. Never said anything about an advantage.

DaveBauerSS6
10-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Actually the camaro was built parallel and the nova is toed. Ive ran both ways in a camaro and I prefer the toed. Read the afco tech on leaf springs, good info.

HMS27
10-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out.

DaveBauerSS6
10-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Cant find afco. Try this.
https://landrumspring.com/technical/oval-track-leaf-spring-mounting-point/

HMS27
10-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Thanks for you post. I plan on doing just the right side toed after doing some research. How much did you toe yours and did you build any lead into it or did you just square the rearend? Ive ran 4 link 3 link and both coils and leafs. I liked the simplicity and consistency of the leaf spring cars.

HMS27
10-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Ok, thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

nguyenvinh2
10-27-2014, 04:05 AM

Camaro Guy
01-20-2015, 09:55 PM
kind of old posts but I am mounting my leaf springs now and I think that the fronts need to be mounter closer (laterally) but which one should I move and how much? From what I can gather I should move the right side in but I don't want chassis bind either.

DirtRacer9x
01-21-2015, 01:54 PM
Mount RR parallel and LR towards center of car from stock location 12" on frame side. That's all I'm sayin.

Camaro Guy
01-21-2015, 03:14 PM
Move the front and the rear of the leaf spring in 12''?

DirtRacer9x
01-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Front frame side. Rear same distance out. Pretty much point it towards rf tire. / |

Camaro Guy
01-21-2015, 04:31 PM
wont that create a serious bind. keep in mind that I am running multi leaf application

setup479point2
01-21-2015, 08:03 PM
https://landrumspring.com/technical/oval-track-leaf-spring-mounting-point/

Camaro Guy
01-21-2015, 08:31 PM
I must be missing something here. I under stand the link on landrum except for the last part. it sais for Chrysler setup and is not at all detailed or does it say why we should do something like that.

setup479point2
01-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Believe it says 41" on the front and 44" on the back . It was just an example to show that most of what you are looking for is out there if you search for it , . Afco also has tech links . I've won with cars , both toed in , left toed right straight , left straight right toed , and with both springs straight . Personally I think angle front to back and keeping them bind free is the most important.

Camaro Guy
01-21-2015, 10:28 PM
That is exactly what I am thinking. everyone will tell you to watch out for suspension bind so I am going to mount mine straight up. I can always make a bracket that will allow my left side to go in if I feel like I need to. my car used stock mounts for 4 years and my car before it did and I won many features in them. Both were Camaro chassis cars and from the factory they are equal lengths. I am going to go with what works, I am changing a whole bunch of things on my car for this season so I am already nervous about the car. Thanks for all of the help guys

DirtRacer9x
01-21-2015, 11:32 PM
Your brackets need to be in line but your springs don't with each other. What we are trying to achieve is a mechanical traction device built into the spring while creating lift on the chassis. My springs on the cars I've had as leafs ran 200 RR and 225-250 LR with RR floated. The leafs on LR were very long as well and didn't use spacer/blocks because of axle wrap. No car will out drive you off the corner unless they're running a lift bar. The front leaf mount just under the seat or to the right. 2 car length off every corner in the slick.

7uptruckracer
01-22-2015, 06:45 AM
If you are worried about bind get the leaf spring sliders for the rear shackles. You can also drill more then one front mounting hole. I also see rear leaf spring sliders on jacking bolt setups so you can use the rear slider to keep bind out but also use it to adjust ride height with the jacking bolt. Leaf springs by design have a low rear roll center and lots of axle wrap, its hard to be good on every kind of condition, but there are still some very fast leafs around. You can get the adjustable pin lowering block so you can set LR to RR trail or its easier to make tweaks if you get knocked outta wack.