PDA

View Full Version : Moving 5th coil..

tworrick
10-08-2014, 08:49 PM
I have noticed a few guys moving there 5th coil towards the rear of car. Or closer to the axle. I am trying to figure out in my head . lol Does that shock the tires faster? or does it slow it down ? I have saw this to tighten a car on slick . Is this correct? If so why ?

HuckleberryB4
10-09-2014, 07:26 AM
It only "shocks" the tires if you go overboard with the adjustment or too stiff on the spring. But yes, moving the 5th coil back (towards the rear) gives the car more instant drive off of the corner, but will also lose drive sooner on a longer straight away track. On a slick track, I usually move mine forward and soften spring rate to slow down that movement to make sure it doesn't break the tire loose. On a heavier track I start moving it back and adding spring rate because the track can hold more instant traction.

cumminsman08
10-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Knowing what moving the 5th coil does by moving it can we add some feedback or opinions on driver not seeing any change on going forward or backwards, obviously track configuration comes into play, does momentum tracks show less effects moving 5th coil forward or back,could they be to heavy on spring #,or not enough preload to where travel doesnt change.

tworrick
10-09-2014, 06:02 PM
It only "shocks" the tires if you go overboard with the adjustment or too stiff on the spring. But yes, moving the 5th coil back (towards the rear) gives the car more instant drive off of the corner, but will also lose drive sooner on a longer straight away track. On a slick track, I usually move mine forward and soften spring rate to slow down that movement to make sure it doesn't break the tire loose. On a heavier track I start moving it back and adding spring rate because the track can hold more instant traction.

That is what is bothering me. doesn't the heavy track already have instant traction. I would think you would want less instant traction thus making car tight on gas. Seems to me instant traction would be better on slick? I know you don't want to spin. but sooner can hook up the better drive off. I may be way off . One reason I posted to get good feedback . Thanks .

grt74
10-09-2014, 06:16 PM
we find the best spot that works for us and leave it

TheJet-09
10-09-2014, 06:30 PM
Ironic timing for this thread, as I just moved mine back this past weekend for the first time ever (at least that I can remember). I was running my 5th coil at 36" (technically 35.5") with a 250# spring (and not to start a debate on the correct spring rate. I have limited HP and found this rate to be most consistent for me). I run a Birky liftbar, so I moved it back 4" (to 31.5"). I also increased the spring rate to 300# (considering the motion ratio, if that's the correct terminology). I ran a 1/4 mile semi-banked track with relatively tight turns (Peoria, IL). The track was in great shape, started off with considerable traction but not heavy by any means. In driving the same way as I always do (*insert disparaging comment here), I noticed that the car almost felt loose off the corner, but might describe it better by saying it was gonna go in whatever direction it was pointed (as opposed to following the arc of the turn easier). So for the heat I raised my LU link one hole (the old 5/8" mounts, so to the top) to "tighten" it off. It helped what I had felt in hot-laps and qualifying, and the car actually felt the best it has at that track (despite my results). For the consi I indexed my LU link on the birdcage and added some tail-weight. I unfortunately can't relay how that affected anything as I wrecked on the first lap. I hope to get one more race in this year, so I plan on working with it more.