PDA

View Full Version : Tru coil springs

twisterf5
10-12-2014, 09:52 AM
any one have any luck with them. how long do they last i have them on my mod and it seems like the right front is giving up. about 25 races on it. new this year car is tight in and drifting coming out and is using up all the shock so to me seems it's bad. so going to change it out but should stay with this brand or do you think another brand would be better.

Lizardracing
10-13-2014, 12:55 AM
I have mine checked regularly. Once a year. The tru coils have some minor rating inconsistencies however they stay that way without changing very much. afcos are usually really close while new but settle some. They stay that way after a few nights though. The integras are pretty good although I haven't tested as many as the others. The Eibachs were terrible. I haven't tested any of them lately though.

Krooser
10-13-2014, 05:35 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about Eibach. When I can afford them I'm trying Swift Springs… they seem to be the hot set-up for the fast guys around here.
http://www.swiftsprings.com/tech/advantage.html

twisterf5
10-13-2014, 11:17 AM
rf was off over 100lb
rr 13lb off
lr 30lb off
these were all new this year about 25 nights on them i have had afco's for years that did not fall off this much.

Lizardracing
10-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Those were test rated?
Or those were your scale numbers?

It's important to understand that each manufacturers arrives at the rating a little different and if not followed or known, your not comparing apples to apples. It's best to check the rate when new, record it, and compare that number when I'm doubt.

twisterf5
10-13-2014, 02:27 PM
we have a jig made up that uses one of our car scales it has always been deed on the numbers. did not check them before we put them on. check a new 225 it checked 230 then checked a new 700 it checked 610 the 750 i had in there checked 504 way off. i think these are junk now but being we did not check them i really dont know what they were. so don't know what to do if i switch brands and they are on there numbers it will mess with handling way to much so i think we will just put some new tru-coils back on and hope they are were we started at. but they sure will not be on this car next year.

Lizardracing
10-13-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm just curious if the free lenght changed on the springs you have. If they haven't, the metal they were made from had to have fatigued. Are you using the 5.0 or 5.5 springs?

twisterf5
10-13-2014, 03:01 PM
using 5.0 rf and lr were almost 1/4 short. rr was ok

Lizardracing
10-13-2014, 03:28 PM
It's important to stress that spring can't lose rate without changing physical properties but they can be compressed beyond the elasticity of the metal and that causes a loss in free height. The loss is free height is what causes the handling issues. Most springs can and will "take a set" and stay there unless compressed beyond the elasticity levels. You can reset ride heights and restore performance but caution that the spring may coil bind or again lose more height of stressed to far. The problem gets worse when springs are made of smaller wire spaced further apart because the metal has to move further to support the loads

Anonymous24
10-13-2014, 09:04 PM
I use Suspension Specialties and nothing but Suspension Specialties

SS Motorsports
10-13-2014, 10:20 PM
Here's everything you need to know about springs, Hypercoil, Integra and Swift. Anything else is a gamble. Until Cobra Coils make a comeback.

DirtRacer9x
10-13-2014, 11:40 PM
Eibach produces the finest racecar springs in the world. Period. When other springs sag, or need frequent replacement, top race teams, from F1 to WRC, from Le Mans to NASCAR, inevitably turn to Eibach. And, also inevitably, wonder why they didn’t choose Eibach in the first place. To produce springs with unparalleled precision and repeatability, Eibach uses the world’s finest Hi-Ten spring steel, produced to exceedingly precise tolerances–according to Eibach specs. We use world-renowned German CNC coilers, as well as many machines engineered and built specifically by Eibach. In short, we use state-of-theart technology, in every step of the manufacturing process. But it’s not just about machines and technology: it’s about people. Most notably, the Eibach Springmeisters, working at production plants in Germany and the USA: Talented, expert craftsmen, each committed to creating the finest race springs in the world.

dirtracer2a
10-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Just from my experience Eibach has been the best spring for us, we tried other brands first and threw several different rates of hypercoils at it, they seemed good for about one night then they sagged and car didnt handle as good, put a set of Eibachs on (same rates as hyercoils) and the car handled better than ever and was consistent. We could then lead races, well all but the last lap, then bad luck would strike such as flat tires, broke driveshafts,or out of control lap cars. But this is just my opinoin and our Eibachs only have 6 races on them but we love them.