PDA

View Full Version : spindle inclination

dirtdiggerracing
10-13-2014, 10:51 PM
What spindle pin Inc is most guys running ???

SuperEight
11-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Differs from builder to builder on basic store bought cars. Your big names have there own specific likes and I'm sure its proprietary to them and why no one has bothered to respond to your post. The real speed in race cars, I believe is in the front end geometry and nobody is just gonna give it away on a message board. Order some spindles with different inclinations and see what works for you, thats my advice. I'd try one side at a time and talk with the spindle manufacturer and get his input on which way you wanna go, i.e. more or less inclination, depending on what you are looking to do. Like any other aspect of your setup, one change will effect another part of the setup and require changes to rebalance the car.

lcpestka
11-06-2014, 07:13 AM
congrads you just said nothing

let-r-eat
11-08-2014, 02:27 PM
Let's talk spindle inclination to understand what it does when it's changed. Less inclination/more inclination. When we turn the wheel what would less inclination do?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What would more inclination do?

SuperEight
11-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Less inclination equals less weight transfer, more equals more weight transfer. I learned a lot about front ends and weight transfer during my kart racing days by playing on the scales turning the wheels back and forth. There is no super secret inclination number, you simply use whats best suited to your driving style and your chassis design/setup. You have to know where you want to go, what you hope to gain before you just go change anything. Is your car too tight, too loose, erratic, unstable, exit issue, entry issue, center??? Find out what you have on your car now, contact a spindle builder about what you want to achieve and they can help you choose the right spindle inclination for your application.

crownman25
11-08-2014, 03:08 PM
you call all those spindle guys its a big secret to them...

Matt49
11-08-2014, 03:44 PM
I wouldn't say "weight transfer" is the correct terminology. More like "weight jacking".
That being said, there isn't nearly as much actual weight jacking in a late model as there is in a go kart. A go kart has no suspension, so every little bit of caster change or KPI change makes a big difference in weight jacking with steering wheel input. Not so much in a car that has suspension to take up the loading.
I'm not a front end geometry expert but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the KPI that most front ends end up with is based more on getting scrub radius right after the desired camber gain curves are achieved. But I could be completely off my rocker.

Bubstr
11-09-2014, 02:38 PM
When I learned about this, there where 2 inclinations involved. 1 The kingpin inclination, or the angle when drawing a straight line threw both upper and lower control arm ball joints and extending that line to the ground to find center of turning radius for scrub nullification. 2 Spindle inclination the angle of that king pin inclination to the spindle part that the wheel bolts to. This matches for the most part to the King pin to keep the contact patch level with the ground, excluding static camber.

These when put together with static caster and camber and camber gain, do jack weight. When you have the right combination become a automatic weight jacking system.

When you push and have to turn left, it removes weight from the right front getting more bite. opposite for tail loose.

This is nothing new, as a matter of fact, this very information was explained to me in 1957 from a former Mercadies engineer who owned midgets. I just hope I explained it as well. It's easier when you have it in front of you.

SuperEight
11-10-2014, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't say "weight transfer" is the correct terminology. More like "weight jacking".
That being said, there isn't nearly as much actual weight jacking in a late model as there is in a go kart. A go kart has no suspension, so every little bit of caster change or KPI change makes a big difference in weight jacking with steering wheel input. Not so much in a car that has suspension to take up the loading.
I'm not a front end geometry expert but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the KPI that most front ends end up with is based more on getting scrub radius right after the desired camber gain curves are achieved. But I could be completely off my rocker.
I can agree with that, was struggling for the right term but weight jacking works.