PDA

View Full Version : Transmission

Matt49
10-16-2014, 11:16 AM
We've been running a Bert (1st Gen) for quite a while and we're looking to make a change for next season. I've heard nothing but bad things about the Bert 2nd Gen from people that I know personally who have used them. But I'm open to additional feedback.
I'm also interested in hearing more about the Brinn Predator. It seems that the new design has really reduced rotating weight. But I'm interested in ease of operation and reliability more than anything.

Thanks in advance.

hammond motorsports
10-16-2014, 02:42 PM
I rebuild a lot of transmissions here at my shop. I think the best deal is just go with a STD Brinn last longer shift better. I have done the Gen 2 Berts with less then 500 laps . I rebuild them and will not warranty at all . I will warranty the Bert and Brinn STD transmissions . I have not worked or used the Predator yet .

DirtRacer9x
10-16-2014, 06:26 PM
I rebuild a lot of transmissions here at my shop. I think the best deal is just go with a STD Brinn last longer shift better. I have done the Gen 2 Berts with less then 500 laps . I rebuild them and will not warranty at all . I will warranty the Bert and Brinn STD transmissions . I have not worked or used the Predator yet .So standard Bert means non ball spline or 1st gen? Thanks.

Racer63
10-17-2014, 09:14 AM
I've got at least 1500 laps on mine and have never had a problem with it or had it rebuilt. That being said I'm sure next weekend something will go wrong with it at the track.....

derricklong38
10-17-2014, 10:47 AM
What is "wrong" with them? Worst i heard was shifting into reverse instead of low...

Brian Gray
10-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Standard means non ball spline. You can get the Bert's in either versions. 1st or second gen.

The second generation Bert is as bulletproof as they come. Its drivers not competent enough to know how they work creating failure in the initial drive. If you don't understand the xhifting process you are gonna have problem s with the predator and 2 gen Bert. If your a newbie or don't understand The mechanics of the planetary drive buy a 1st gen Bert or brinn.

DirtRacer9x
10-17-2014, 06:14 PM
Standard means non ball spline. You can get the Bert's in either versions. 1st or second gen. The second generation Bert is as bulletproof as they come. Its drivers not competent enough to know how they work creating failure in the initial drive. If you don't understand the xhifting process you are gonna have problem s with the predator and 2 gen Bert. If your a newbie or don't understand The mechanics of the planetary drive buy a 1st gen Bert or brinn.What's the "correct" or "best" way to run one of these. I try to get it into direct drive ASAP. I don't like running around in the low speed at all. I see many guys do this. I don't rebuild these things often at all so any input on best way to operate and what to avoid doing would be great info to share in here. If spinning try to pop out of gear or straight forward into low ? Just what to do and not to do if someone could make a list would be awesome!

Brian Gray
10-18-2014, 11:44 AM
#1 rule spinning pertaining to transmission s like the Bert. Don't touch it !

#2 shifting. Hold firm pressure while taking off and driving in 1st gear. Accelerate to the 3500 rpm range . release pedal fully. Pull into drive quickly but without slamming.

When stopping slide out of d/d to the neutral position. Allow car to slow and rpm to drop . slid into 1st position then apply pressure to pedal.

Do not load your car with the clutch
Try to slip the clutch as little as possible
Remember the 1st gear is for slowly bringing car to speed not for burnouts.

Reverse is for gently backing car and wouldn't even be in the trans if the rules didn't require it.

Brian Gray
10-18-2014, 11:52 AM
Problems occur from these issues

#1 people that rebuild them thinking they know what their doing and creating the environment for failure.

Drivers that do not know the limitations of a direct drive system.

Improper shifting

You can abuse these units in drive but need to use care when they are being utilized out side of the direct drive.

Brian Gray
10-18-2014, 12:03 PM
The predator is basically a copy of the new Bert.