PDA

View Full Version : Plastic brake lines

Wheelman33
10-19-2014, 08:42 PM
What are your guys opinions on plastic brake lines? Have always ran hard lines but the car I just bought has plastic. Any horror stories?

Anonymous24
10-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Works fine in my opinion

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-19-2014, 08:50 PM
What are your guys opinions on plastic brake lines? Have always ran hard lines but the car I just bought has plastic. Any horror stories?

No place on a race car. Flex. Will melt in fire.

zeroracing
10-19-2014, 09:01 PM
Bad idea on a race car. Seen a guy committed to them burn them with a welding spark and they leak, knock them off with rock from track...

But mastersbuilt_racer hit the main points

Anonymous24
10-19-2014, 09:06 PM
We ran them all year with no issues.

Confused?
10-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Have ran them for years with no issues.

MasterSbilt_Racer
10-20-2014, 06:47 PM
Why take the risk to save a couple pounds?

bob75
10-21-2014, 05:43 PM
I RAN THEM AND NEVER GOT A HARD PEDAL, replaced calipers , masters still had a soft pedal, then i put steel lines brakes work fine

jsf74
10-22-2014, 02:39 AM
ill never run plastic. i seen two people loose the lead in the feature just this year from a rock hitting there plastic lines. all steel for me.

stockcar5
10-22-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm surprised they are still legal for most sanctioning bodies.

kilroy be here
10-22-2014, 10:42 PM
I guess I would like to take a digital caliper and measure the outside of the plastic line and then have someone stand on the brake pedal and measure it again while its got some serious pressure on it. any amount of swelling would make the decision for me

Lizardracing
10-22-2014, 10:46 PM
I've ran both.

Steel is more durable, harder to bend and flair, weighs about 1 pound more.
Plastic is less durable, easier to lay out, requires more planning to keep debris from damaging it, the fittings tend to be finicky and need more attention more often.

I like plastic but use a braided line(plastic covered in steel covering) to the caliper. It's important to keep the plastic lines close to the frame/tuing with zip ties every 8" or so. I also do before and after every radius. I also like to keep as much of the line hidden in places that aren't easily accessed by debris. I keep all lines on the left hand side inside the drivers tub except for the RR and RF which is kept behind the tube its attached to and in front of the K member. It's easy to see for weekly inspections and yet stays clear of potential damage. If I need to weld I just remove it and cap both ends. Then blow that section clean and refit, bleed, and done.

racin6mod
11-02-2014, 12:44 PM
I've seen the many problems with the plastic brake lines for the slight gains it's just not worth the many issues you have to watch for over the life of the car. go with the steel lines