PDA

View Full Version : How are they Turning Stubs

7uptruckracer
10-22-2014, 03:05 PM
Sounds like a dumb question, but I see Builders getting their front clips in sections or taking a donor clip and cutting the RF and LF rail off the crossmember and rewelding it. Are they staggering the rails or are they actually turning the whole front clip away from parallel to the stock centerline. How is this "turned stub" accomplished?

Renegade Cust Susp
10-22-2014, 09:01 PM
I've seen both. Some of your "built" chevelle clips I've seen rails set rs forward. I have also seen the turned method where the whole clip is "turned" so rf ball joint leads lf with no major clip modifications

7uptruckracer
10-23-2014, 06:44 AM
Just curious because of how the crossmember is also integrated into the control arm mount, as to how they are getting it all accomplished. I saw they said some are setback 2" or more so when you add caster you still get the numbers you want. I see them buy rails in sections or whole clips they then cutup and i know GM spec has some build tolerance as much as 3/8 outta square from the factory on original. Would love to see more posts on this.

I've seen both. Some of your "built" chevelle clips I've seen rails set rs forward. I have also seen the turned method where the whole clip is "turned" so rf ball joint leads lf with no major clip modifications

Confused?
10-23-2014, 09:09 AM
The few I've felt with had the front clip turned about the hole in the crossmember. Meaning the whole frame pivoted around that point. That way the deminsions all stay within tolerance. The rails are still parallel with the centerline of the chassis though.

7uptruckracer
10-23-2014, 09:20 AM
Can you explain that a little better? So where you saying in yours they mounted the clip straight, and then cut the crossmember and staggered it between the rails? So they in effect moved the LF lower mount back and RF lower mount forward. Sorry was hard for me to read its still early. or did the cut the LF rail off and slid it back?

UltimateRaceCars
10-23-2014, 09:36 AM
I do my cars like confused stated, when I put the stub in the jig it has no side rails. The stub is turned using the crossmember center hole as a pivot and I lead the right front lower a-arm. Then the rails are put on so they are parallel to the centerline of the chassis. Right or wrong thats how I build my cars and its been working very good.

DirtRacer9x
10-23-2014, 11:39 AM
5/8" turned on our cars. Ultimate race cars do you square the rear off motor plate or square off of wheelbase?

Confused?
10-23-2014, 12:26 PM
I do what Ultimate Race Cars stated. The clip is built straight and the rotated on the jig. The pivot point is the center hole in the bottom of the crossmember.

UltimateRaceCars
10-23-2014, 12:26 PM
Are you asking how I square the rearend? If so I do it off the frame, trying to measure up to the midplate creates a potential for a lot of error.

7uptruckracer
10-23-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the info I have it now, I guess its extremely hard to see by the naked eye. Last question when you say its turned and then give a measurement where are you taking that measurement from then to say its 5/8 or 3/4 or what have you. Is it from jig centerline to a specific point?

Confused?
10-23-2014, 12:38 PM
Mine is the difference between the front wheels

oldtrackchamp4x
10-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Confused Wayne, Can you be a little more specific on how to measure the front wheel difference for all of us simpletons. HA HA. JMO.

Confused?
10-23-2014, 05:49 PM
First, back the car up against the wall of you shop. Make sure the rear quarter panels are pushed firmly against the wall. Second, Grab a wood yard stick and lay it next to the car, starting at the wall. Keep moving the yard stick, noting the measurements until you get to the front of the car. Now add all of the measurements to find the length. Repeat for the other side. The difference is what I was referring to. Have a nice time with this. It works........... kinda

DirtRacer9x
10-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Are you asking how I square the rearend? If so I do it off the frame, trying to measure up to the midplate creates a potential for a lot of error.So what is your final base set up on wheel base and do you suggest wheel base changes on your cars? Thanks.

oldtrackchamp4x
10-23-2014, 05:59 PM
Ha Ha. You are making me confused. How about using some rice or something else. JMO.

NAYRBNYLF
10-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Our cars with turned stubs, wheel baseIs measured from the center line ofThe ball joint

Confused?
10-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Wheelbase should be measured center of hub to center of hub. Going to the ball joints can give a false reading, esp. if they car has a large amount of caster.

My car has the rearend squared off of the frame, where the 4-link brackets are. I only check the LS wheelbase to make sure it is legal and not under 108"

drtrkr244
10-23-2014, 08:45 PM
I have seen many posts about measuring wheelbases on many different threads. I was taught a system, in the mid 90's, by a racecar engineer /fabricator. You can use it to measure wheelbase, chassis pick up points, rearend and engine setback, basically any pickup point on any chassis. It is a valuable tool for chassis tuning and I have seen it used for chassis repair inc front/rear clip replacement. The tools needed costs less than $50 and you probly have most of them. It usually takes 2-3 hrs depending on what ur checking.

My question is this! What would you be willing to pay to be taught this system? Im not trying to rob anyone as Im thinking the price point to be around $99. PM me your thoughts on this......thanks

Lizardracing
10-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Math is free at my house.

7uptruckracer
10-24-2014, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the reply guys I think with some help I got it and answered some of my own questions on reference points. I do care about wheel base but that alone won't tell you how much your stub is turned because of caster. Since these are fixed lowers though you should be able to extend your midplate line and measure to your outer lower pivot point to see the difference. Also note your "installed" wheelbase. Its just a place to start. I don't have a tech in the class this will be in so I can do a few things to accomplish what I'm after thanks fellas!

Math is free at my house.\

drtrkr244
10-24-2014, 06:33 PM
In trying to find various measuring points on a chassis, you have to find the true centerline. That is one of the benefits in the measuring system in my above post.

CsR41
10-25-2014, 09:25 PM
How much is Pierce turning-or leading their cars? Any idea?

7uptruckracer
10-26-2014, 03:35 PM
How much is Pierce turning-or leading their cars? Any idea?

I've heard they were more then most at around 1 3/4

Latham Motorsports
11-05-2014, 09:08 PM
May be a stupid question but I am curious. What is the benefit in turning the stub/ leading right front?