PDA

View Full Version : Wraps

A ron
10-29-2014, 08:23 AM
Just getting into dirt track racing. Made my first start this past weekend. Anyway, I'm getting ready to put a new body on my crate late model and started looking at wraps online. Wow! $400 and up. I cant make myself pay that. That's almost 3 new tires. yes I know racing is expensive. I have access to a large plotter (24" wide by unlimited length). My question is: has anyone done these on their own? I have found a 24" wide 66' long roll of printable adhesive vinyl. If I printed these out with my designjet plotter and sprayed them with an aerosol laminate, would they hold up 6 months or so?

HuckleberryB4
10-29-2014, 09:45 AM
$400? That's cheap for a wrap. Not that $400 is cheap, but in the wrap/vinyl market, that's on the very low side.

hpmaster
10-29-2014, 10:01 AM
In my years in LM I have had cars that didn't last 6 months, graphics and panels that were junk on opening night UV rays are the least of my worries. If money is an issue take your time and paint it then just say you are "old school".

A ron
10-29-2014, 10:16 AM
Well by $400 I meant at a minimum. My thoughts exactly hpmaster. $400+ each time you have to redo a panel adds up quick. A roll of that printable adhesive is only $166. I could get at least 2 cars worth out of that 66'. I'm gonna try finding a small piece, print on it, spray it, and wet it, and see if it works.

jbh25
10-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Well by $400 I meant at a minimum. My thoughts exactly hpmaster. $400+ each time you have to redo a panel adds up quick. A roll of that printable adhesive is only $166. I could get at least 2 cars worth out of that 66'. I'm gonna try finding a small piece, print on it, spray it, and wet it, and see if it works.

400 is cheap I start out at 650 with my wraps and good luck putting a wrap on that is not laminated

A ron
10-29-2014, 10:35 AM
That's why I'm asking if anyone else has tried it. I was just curious if some spray laminate would work. I'm sure they are worth $650, I just can't spend that on making a car look good that has high chances of getting destroyed nightly.

jbh25
10-29-2014, 10:59 AM
That's why I'm asking if anyone else has tried it. I was just curious if some spray laminate would work. I'm sure they are worth $650, I just can't spend that on making a car look good that has high chances of getting destroyed nightly.

Yes spray laminate will work but the hard part is going to be putting it on with out laminate u will have to pre mask it and then it's not flexible

A ron
10-29-2014, 11:09 AM
ahhhh Okay I gots ya man. Hey, doesn't hurt to ask haha

PushinTheLimit
10-29-2014, 12:31 PM
That's why you bring a big hammer and plenty of rivots to the track with you. I've bent up my panels, but if they aren't too bad, we'll beat them out and use them again. I was able to make my panels last all season this year and could still use them next year, but I want to have it fresh for next season. I paid right at $500 for my last full wrap.

AmickRacing
10-29-2014, 07:37 PM
Wraps are mostly over rated. I prefer the not real old, old school way of layers of colored vinyl.
I actually love the painted look, but I have no talent with a paint brush... I can kinda fake it with a mouse

TheJet-09
10-30-2014, 11:45 PM
A lot of the top, "recognizable" cars don't even have wraps (Owens and Pearson jr come to mind), just some numbers and sponsor stickers. When I got back in to racing last year though, I decided to go with a wrap (New Vision Graphics). One benefit I have seen is when you do have to bang the dents out, the wrap hides the stress impressions that you would normally see on plain aluminum, so they stay looking pretty nice. Has anyone ever weighed a full wrap though? Just curious. They're not light. We look to cut weight everywhere else.....hmm.

TALON75
10-31-2014, 08:35 AM
Those are wraps on Owens and Pearson's car(Lanigan's too), the base wrap just matches the body color. Eddie Carrier Jr. wrapped his deck when he got the Optima sponsorship, it was easier and cheaper than replacing the sheetmetal. Even with simple logos and not much or no graphics, a wrap is quicker and easier to apply.

FlatTire
10-31-2014, 10:28 AM
I do my own layered vinyl graphics and spend no more than $200 on supplies to do a car. But it is super time consuming. My equipment has more than paid for itself several times over.

TheJet-09
10-31-2014, 01:15 PM
Good info Talon75. You spent a lot more time up close around their cars than I ever would. It's interesting they just have the wrap in the same color as the aluminum. The wraps are more durable though. I remember way back when, bare aluminum could get pretty rough looking just from wear and tear from rocks, etc.

Lizardracing
10-31-2014, 01:44 PM
Several years ago I had a sponsor pay $1500 for a professional built body and decals. This was before wraps were common. Anyway, it lasted three laps and both doors were torn off including parts of the deck. Never again will I do that. Now I keep things simple and elegant. I prefer to spend my money on parts that matter because I don't think anyone cares what your car looks like in Winner Circle!