PDA

View Full Version : Left Side Take Up Springs

DirtRacer9x
10-30-2014, 09:13 PM
So who uses them and what are typical rates you use on both left sides? Any info on handling or changes would be great. Thanks.

TheJet-09
10-30-2014, 10:43 PM
Assuming you're talking about the small spring used between the actual coil spring and adjuster nut: I believe they are typically rated at 5#, but nothing you would factor in to the overall spring rate. They are beneficial anytime the possibility of a gap develops between the coil spring and the adjustor nut. They keep a small amount of tension on the spring so the spring cup doesn't "pop up" on top of the shock end/eye over bumps, etc. (during suspension drop).

DirtRacer9x
10-30-2014, 10:53 PM
So lets say I'm unloading the LR and Lf spring. Will a take up on LR help drive, entry, or what? Also on LF will it make the Car not drop or make drastic movements? Ultimately it smooths out transitioning? What spring rate? Did you say 5 lbs or did you mean 50 lbs?

zeroracing
10-30-2014, 11:00 PM
A take up spring is a flat spring of a very light rate that does nothing to the handling or loading of the car. They are made from flat wound steel and compress very easily. When the car is on its normal spring the take up just lays flat like a washer, when the car is up and off the regular spring the take up is there to keep it from beating up things. Without them springs would chew up threads on coil overs every time you unloaded the car. I have no clue the rate, I know I can compress them by hand, and they have no impact on performance just keep you from beating up your parts when you unload the spring.

TheJet-09
10-30-2014, 11:36 PM
Exactly...what zeroracing said. I meant 5 lbs, not 50. I don't know that they come in any other rate. It really boils down to a consistency thing. If you scale your car, then hit the track and the LR spring cup pops-up, it'd be like adding 2-4 turns to that corner of the car (the coilover) because you just pre-loaded that spring another 1/2" or so. If that happened on the LF it could be a pretty significant change (based on spring rate)! We'll see what the others have to say.....

DirtRacer9x
10-31-2014, 12:18 PM
So the take up spring isn't that beneficial for drive? It's more used for keeping tension on the spring and coil over so it doesn't move?

FlatTire
10-31-2014, 01:36 PM
DirtRacer, yes a take up spring doesn't factor in to anything other than keeping the big spring in position. Its rate it negligient.

I think what you might be referring to is a dual stage setup. With this, you will have two springs. A 12" 200lb primary spring with a 4" long 400lb secondary spring is pretty common. During compression you are on the 200lb spring, during rebound you are on the combined spring rate which is softer than either. Soft springs(combined rate) promote hikeup. Then as the assembly compresses the secondary spring becomes locked out relying which is when the 200lb spring comes into play helping with forward bite getting off the corner.
You have a adjuster nut you turn to tune the timing of everything.

DirtRacer9x
10-31-2014, 05:36 PM
DirtRacer, yes a take up spring doesn't factor in to anything other than keeping the big spring in position. Its rate it negligient. I think what you might be referring to is a dual stage setup. With this, you will have two springs. A 12" 200lb primary spring with a 4" long 400lb secondary spring is pretty common. During compression you are on the 200lb spring, during rebound you are on the combined spring rate which is softer than either. Soft springs(combined rate) promote hikeup. Then as the assembly compresses the secondary spring becomes locked out relying which is when the 200lb spring comes into play helping with forward bite getting off the corner. You have a adjuster nut you turn to tune the timing of everything.That's exactly what I am looking at doing is a 2 stage. We have been unloading the LR spring at least an inch so I'm thinking a 2 stage would help the car stay more consistent into the corner and maybe hike down the straights. Typically how much load in a range should we have on the LR and LF? 50lbs, 100, etc?...thanks!

grt74
10-31-2014, 07:38 PM
That's exactly what I am looking at doing is a 2 stage. We have been unloading the LR spring at least an inch so I'm thinking a 2 stage would help the car stay more consistent into the corner and maybe hike down the straights. Typically how much load in a range should we have on the LR and LF? 50lbs, 100, etc?...thanks!

theres a lot to this setup,it will be a trial and error kind of thing,I've seen all kinds of different springs used for this,i will say it will take at least a 175lbs spring rate or less to take up the slack(thats with both springs figured out on the equation)remember with this setup the car will hike up quicker and maybe crash down harder depending on how soft you do go and your shock setup is a factor in this also

DirtRacer9x
10-31-2014, 09:41 PM
theres a lot to this setup,it will be a trial and error kind of thing,I've seen all kinds of different springs used for this,i will say it will take at least a 175lbs spring rate or less to take up the slack(thats with both springs figured out on the equation)remember with this setup the car will hike up quicker and maybe crash down harder depending on how soft you do go and your shock setup is a factor in this alsoWell we have 200s now and thinking of running a 100 for the second stage. Ultimately trying to have 100-200lbs loaded at full hike still. That's what we're going to try and achieve. Does this sound like something to do? Also what other changes would be make to have this type of set up. Thanks for any input.