PDA

View Full Version : blue rocket wide rf option?

ncracer1st
11-05-2014, 07:56 PM
Loooking at buying a blue spindle rocket, it does not have wide rf option. What does the wide rf do?

Brian Gray
11-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Buy it cheap, get it updated !

Kwoods25
11-06-2014, 07:48 AM
What year is it? Is it that good of a deal to buy and clip or just buy a car that already has it?

hpmaster
11-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Yea buy a car that after you update it is still one generation behind. Wait a couple months till the aftermarket starts making all the parts for the cars that were whooping the 2014 Rockets on a national level. Yes it is happening.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-06-2014, 09:52 AM
Yea buy a car that after you update it is still one generation behind. Wait a couple months till the aftermarket starts making all the parts for the cars that were whooping the 2014 Rockets on a national level. Yes it is happening.

Local guys are always at least a generation behind unless they happen to figure the same thing out at the same time.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-06-2014, 01:13 PM
To the guy who red repped me,

I am a local guy. The fact is by the time the local guy buys a used Bloomquist, he is on to better things. When your chassis builder is smoking the competition on the national level with a new shock package, he will tell you about it at the seminar in 3 years. Local guys are rarely running what is winning the Crown Jewels. Unless they are smart, hit something, and keep that to themselves.

ncracer1st
11-06-2014, 04:28 PM
what does all this have to do with my question? What does the wide rf option do? Does it turn better, does it get on rf better, does it make it steer better, does it make more traction? What does it do? I dont care what Bloomquist does I dont care what Rocket does, I want to know what moving the rf out 1 inch does, Thank you.

MasterSbilt_Racer
11-06-2014, 04:49 PM
what does all this have to do with my question? What does the wide rf option do? Does it turn better, does it get on rf better, does it make it steer better, does it make more traction? What does it do? I dont care what Bloomquist does I dont care what Rocket does, I want to know what moving the rf out 1 inch does, Thank you.

Short answer. Your car will see increased RR loading during cornering.

Brian Gray
11-06-2014, 09:54 PM
Hence the sell off of last years club 29 cars .

TALON75
11-07-2014, 02:29 AM
Brian, this is another instance where you are speaking about something you know nothing about! Kent's car and our car were only sold because both drivers prefer the tall cage and extended footbox of thier newer cars. The car we just sold is in better condition than car we have been racing, but was a tight fit for the driver, besides the cage and footbox the cars are identical.

MasterSbilt_Racer makes a good point, although I believe the time frame these days is quite a bit shorter, info gets to the lower ranks faster these days I think.

Ncracer1st- you need to answer what year car your working with, it matters! Short answer on the wide rf is that it should turn in better but can be tight middle off due too rr loading( like MBracer said).

hpmaster
11-07-2014, 07:11 AM
Brian, this is another instance where you are speaking about something you know nothing about! Kent's car and our car were only sold because both drivers prefer the tall cage and extended footbox of thier newer cars. The car we just sold is in better condition than car we have been racing, but was a tight fit for the driver, besides the cage and footbox the cars are identical.

MasterSbilt_Racer makes a good point, although I believe the time frame these days is quite a bit shorter, info gets to the lower ranks faster these days I think.

Ncracer1st- you need to answer what year car your working with, it matters! Short answer on the wide rf is that it should turn in better but can be tight middle off due too rr loading( like MBracer said).

The time frame of update and becoming obsolete has been quite quick in the past few years but not unlike what has always been happening. The difference today and yes this just my opinion, racers are communicating from all over the country and trading information. This along with more weekend racers better understanding the cars from a working/engineering angle with the advent of better computer programs combined with many qualified chassis builder/modifiers skills. This along with a boom in true shock builders of late has accelerated the understand on how cars do what they do. My comment about buying and "updating" a car is by the time you buy and update many used cars the cost is into the thousands. Then many older chassis and I am only talking a couple years are not easily updated to what you are seeing going on above in the pic of the previous poster. This does not mean only new cars win in general well prepared cars with consistent drivers win. JMHO

FlatTire
11-07-2014, 09:13 AM
Ncracer1st-

here's what a smart & motivated racer does thats not a monkey see monkey do chump: He goes out and buys him every racecar suspension engineering book he can find, buys a front end design program. Models the front end. Keep tweaking the model til you have something that makes sense. Buys some parts. Then takes it to the track and decides for himself. If you like it you don't tell anyone. If you don't like it, you try something else.

I asked the same question before. I even asked guys that had that option on their car and couldn't tell you the difference between standard and wide and when you want one over the other. Nobody told me $hit so I had to figure it out for myself. There's far more to it than what got posted here and I have some different thoughts as well. But if you don't understand it you will likely end up achieving very little. Don't expect a magic bullet!

The gains in late model racing are getting tougher and tougher to get. The best thing you can do is arm yourself with knowledge and the best way to do that is figure it out on your own.

Its kind of putting it back in the hands of those who work hard and are smart like it was in the old days when everybody made their own race car parts.

Putting information like you are inquiring about on a public forum makes it way too easy for a 1000 others to get. Once they copy what you've done you no longer have the advantage you worked hard at getting.

Watch every single interview Bloomer does. He's very secretive & vague. You will learn little from the technical side, but you can learn about the methods he uses to achieve success. He never gives away what he exactly did, but he always lets you know he's been up to something. He also always tells you if he's been testing and that is one of his more enjoyable parts of this whole game. When the man has an idea, he talks to a select few, tests the idea out, and if it works he gets faster and starts handing out Tennessee a$$ whoopins.

You sit on your a$$ very long in this sport and you get passed. Even ole Lannigan got something figured out & snuck up on bloomer but look who got back to work and returned to supremacy once again.

Thats the difference between him and the rest. The rest all just want to buy/copy his stuff so they can be fast. They don't want to put the long hours and hard work in that Bloomer did figuring it all out. He's definitely one of the most hard working and innovative drivers in our sport. R&D isn't free, nor is it cheap and it's certainly not easy.

MBR Performance
11-07-2014, 10:04 AM
This is one of the best posts I have read on here.

ncracer1st
11-07-2014, 10:27 AM
I have an 05 black spindle rocket and its always to tight, I found an 07 blue spindle rocket that doesnt have the wide rf. If the wide rf is the way to go i can take it to Jeff Smith and get it updated, more money spent pus I will have to buy another rack or send the one on the car to get longer shaft, more money. Or I can keep the 05 update to blue spindle and buy a rack or send it off to get longer shaft. So it dont make sense to me to buy the 07 and turn around and update it when I can just update the 05. I guess my what I am trying to figure out is do I really need the wide rf?

hpmaster
11-07-2014, 03:29 PM
I have an 05 black spindle rocket and its always to tight, I found an 07 blue spindle rocket that doesnt have the wide rf. If the wide rf is the way to go i can take it to Jeff Smith and get it updated, more money spent pus I will have to buy another rack or send the one on the car to get longer shaft, more money. Or I can keep the 05 update to blue spindle and buy a rack or send it off to get longer shaft. So it dont make sense to me to buy the 07 and turn around and update it when I can just update the 05. I guess my what I am trying to figure out is do I really need the wide rf?

First I am not a Rocket expert nor an expert in anything! You are asking all the right questions in the above post and looking at dollars to return. Personaly I like the wide RF on every car I have had it on over the 16 to 18 R lower. Do not forget that there are several spindles available with different pin heights for Blue/Gray Rockets. I might be wrong but I think I remember being told the rail height is different before 06 on Rockets. Call Robby at Rocket and ask him.

Brian Gray
11-07-2014, 06:19 PM
Where I come from if its worth a crap you don't get rid of it! Not saying the 29ers aren't good I mean look what they did for the rice kid? Just saying there are a lot of first runs up for sale and a lot of new ones being built .

mab475
11-07-2014, 10:46 PM
If you are gonna have the wide RF option added you'll want to get the updated cross member installed so you don't drag the track.

TALON75
11-08-2014, 05:20 AM
Glad I'm not where you come from Gray, the school system must really suck there, at least the reading comprehension part. How is the used 29 market now that Kent's and ours are sold? I gave you an honest answer too the reason those two cars were sold, and you basically called me a liar.

Ncracer - I don't think either of your options are great. Converting an 05 black car too a wide rf blue would not be a good move. An 07 blue car probably wont see the full benefit of a wide rf update either(four bar mounts should be up updated also). Truly if you think you need it then you need too find an 09 or newer that already has the updates, otherwise spend your money elsewhere(or invest it, hucktyson can help you find the right mutual fund for optimal ROI). Good luck.

ncracer1st
11-08-2014, 08:18 AM
Thanks TALON75 thats the kind of answer I was looking for.