PDA

View Full Version : Gen-Xtra VS. Smackdown

TLM4t4
11-12-2014, 08:41 AM
I have an average everyday smack car with raised frame rail and rack plate. Was wanting to know the advantages of sending my chassis out and get it updated to the Gen-X front clip? I know the LCA's will have the same mounting location but the crossmember will be moved to the back side if control arm versus front side. I know by doing that it adds Ackerman, and driveability. Has anyone had a regular smack then upgraded to the Gen-X front clip? What's the driving characteristics and what to expect? Is it well worth the upgrade?

Matt49
11-12-2014, 11:18 AM
We didn't "upgrade" but having driven both Smack (with and without S7) and Gen-X, I can tell you that the Gen-X does steer more positively. Don't misunderstand that to mean that it is a "looser" car because it is not. It just responds better to steering wheel input in my opinion.

jason oldfield
12-09-2014, 09:20 AM
hi guys, I also have a smack o7 raise rail x member without s7 spindles, ive got to the point where I need more feel in the r/f will the s7 spindles help, or do I keep going softer until frame bottoms out.

TheJet-09
12-09-2014, 09:51 AM
How soft are you now?

Matt49
12-09-2014, 11:38 AM
The S7 definitely steers more positively with the RF in my opinion. You can typically run softer with the S7. I know of people as low as 250 but that isn't for me personally.

keeks
12-09-2014, 12:58 PM
I just have to ask, so I can stay on track with my learning. What exactly do you mean when you say it steers more positively?

I take it to mean it reacts more instantaneously to steering input.

MasterSbilt_Racer
12-09-2014, 01:53 PM
I just have to ask, so I can stay on track with my learning. What exactly do you mean when you say it steers more positively?

It more readily wants to change direction when you put some wheel into it. Smack cars can be hard to get to change direction at the end of the straight. Especially when you put a more modern setup under them.

Matt49
12-09-2014, 02:37 PM

I suppose it does warrant further explanation. It very often does mean exactly what MBRacer described. But for me, I'll tell you the difference I felt and what I mean.
In my smack car on the standard front end, if I didn't get my car rotated just perfectly on corner entry, it would be tight in the center of the corner and turning the steering wheel to the right didn't get it to rotate any more. I would have to throttle it up to get it to turn. Spinning the rear wheels to get a car to turn is a sure way to kill forward bite.
With my S7 car, that problem largely went away. I could turn the wheel when the car was over on the right side and it would actually turn.

jason oldfield
12-09-2014, 08:35 PM
How soft are you now?

Sorry should have stated, lf 500 rf 450 , and it is a 2006.
will be trying the super high rebound with a 400lb
when I go softer do I need to add wedge to left rear, (more cross weight)
currently run 80lb

hucktyson
12-10-2014, 05:38 AM
What are you calling " super high rebound " and if your trying to run the smack laid over like a gen x you will prob need to be softer than a 400 unless your running a place the size
Of eldora or bigger and it stays hammer down. My smack car turned in much better and had more drive off than my gen x car did.

TheJet-09
12-10-2014, 12:18 PM
I don't believe my 2008 has anything raised. I run a 350 right front with a steel block. It does bottom out if it's rough. Also about 100# of bite. Not saying it's right but that's what I've run.

TLM4t4
12-10-2014, 01:15 PM
I can run as low as a 325 on RF with a 375 LF, only thing I drag is strut rod bolts. My car also is a 2008 but its raised frame rail and cross member. My biggest problem I think are spindles, I'm running the new UCA and LCA Master's offer but I prefer the old 6* spindles. Seems to me the S7's load my car up too much across center. I do drag frame rails every now and then but I think that comes from my king pin height on the 6*'s versus the 7's. I may be going the wrong way myself but the car is not bad at all, anywhere we take.

7uptruckracer
12-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Just curious and I know its not often people answer it I saw you mentioned 6* spindle but how do the two spindles compare height wise. pin height wise. degree and steering arm wise if you feel froggy enough to answer.

TLM4t4
12-11-2014, 07:59 AM
The spindle heights are the same, I know the steering arms are the same length but I'm not sure if there in the same relationship with ball joints, haven't measured that. The difference between the 2 is the RF king pin is dropped 1"-1 1/4" lower than the 6* spindle and the king pin angle is 7*, the LF spindles are the same except for the difference in degree's. If I'm not mistaken that's what I was told on the angle because I have no accurate way to check it, but the rest is the same. I could have been fed a line of crap and could be wrong, if anyone else knows please correct me if I'm wrong.