PDA

View Full Version : Spindles?????

TLM4t4
11-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Alright guru's, got a quick question and would like some input on it. I've got a spindle jig and was thinking about doing some experimenting, I have all the snouts, caliper mounts, ball joint housings, and everything to build a spindle from scratch. What I'm wanting to do is take the MastersBilt s-7 spindles and make the steering arm approximately 7/8" longer. In ensconce I know this will make the steering radius longer which will turn slower. Reason I want to move them is to add ackermann so I don't have to run 1" of toe out. I know the Gen-X cars crossmember is moved to the backside of the lower control arms, which is adding ackermann, and grant you I know moving the crossmember would be the correct way to do so! I would rather build the spindles to see if i like it before I go to cutting and welding on my chassis. Any input would be great, and please voice your opinions!

m_stagev
11-21-2014, 06:35 AM
Alright guru's, got a quick question and would like some input on it. I've got a spindle jig and was thinking about doing some experimenting, I have all the snouts, caliper mounts, ball joint housings, and everything to build a spindle from scratch. What I'm wanting to do is take the MastersBilt s-7 spindles and make the steering arm approximately 7/8" longer. In ensconce I know this will make the steering radius longer which will turn slower. Reason I want to move them is to add ackermann so I don't have to run 1" of toe out. I know the Gen-X cars crossmember is moved to the backside of the lower control arms, which is adding ackermann, and grant you I know moving the crossmember would be the correct way to do so! I would rather build the spindles to see if i like it before I go to cutting and welding on my chassis. Any input would be great, and please voice your opinions!

if you ever drove a car with an ackerman problem you don't want to do that again.that was a problem with the older warrior cars.

TheJet-09
11-21-2014, 10:57 AM
You could always just weld another lug (or whatever you would call it) on the end of your existing spindle to see if it gives the effect you're looking for, rather than going to the extent of building a new spindle.